How Do You Like Windows 10?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Quentin, May 20, 2016.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Anybody upgraded to Windows 10 or bought a new device running the new OS?

For almost a year I labored over a decision whether to upgrade our two laptops to Windows 10. Both were running fine so should you "fix it if it ain't broke"! But there are rave reviews of Win10 and it is free.

A few days ago I finally updated my laptop (I was afraid to touch my wife's laptop!) The complete process from the time you click Upgrade until you have your computer back took about 4 hours! (You might want to let it run overnight.)

So far all my applications work with Win10. I expected Word 2010 and Excel 2010 to work but wondered about a few non-Microsoft or non-major player softwares - like little utilities and handy programs from small software companies but they all work it seems. Win10 did break a few file extension associations (IE: I use Irfanview to open JPEGs and Win10 reset JPGs to be opened in MS Paint or whatever they call it today) but I was able to easily return to the file extension associations I wanted so no big deal. Otherwise I haven't had problems.

I'm pleased with the speed of Win10. Web pages load noticeably faster in Firefox under Win10 than before with Win8.1. Also the new Microsoft Edge browser loads pages fast. It feels like I've upgraded the speed of my Internet service. Great upgrade for this reason alone.

Since the update of our Win 8.1 Dell laptop went well I decided to go ahead and do the same to our Win 7 Toshiba laptop. After all, the price can't be beat (free)! My wife wasn't so sure but liked the way my laptop ran.

Again, the complete process from the time you click Upgrade until you regain control of your computer took over 4 hours. The download itself is 4 gigabytes which took 2 hours using our 7.5 Mb/sec DSL but that would be much faster with a faster Internet provider. Actually the download took another hour because it failed about 5 times so I had to restart it repeatedly. Fortunately the successfully downloaded stub of the file remained intact on my hard drive and the download program found it so started off where it left off before (5%, 15%, 55%, 80% and 95%) instead of going back to 0% each restart.That was worrisome but the integrity of the spliced together installation file is verified before installation.

Other than the new Microsoft Edge browser I haven't played with Cortana and other new features of Win10; I've mainly been concerned with proper function of existing applications that we use. I would say go ahead and take advantage of the free upgrade to Win10 which MS says will end around June 29th. I suspect that offer will be extended because MS wants to move most Win7&Win8 users to Win10. I didn't lose any files but backing up your personal data would be smart before the upgrade.

Everything seems all right on both PCs so far, apps open and data seems ok. I did have some other minor problems on the second laptop, again broken file extension associations and this time the speakers were mute because Win 10 defaulted to the headphones jack instead of speakers (a simple fix in Control Panel). I'm pleased with Windows 10 but what really matters is that my wife is pleased, too, the second laptop is her computer! So far she likes it.

Oh, anyone updating many computers would want to create an installation DVD to avoid multiple downloads of the 4GB file. Microsoft has an ISO image file you can download and burn to a blank DVD. (Or create an installation USB drive) I may do that just to have the DVD. They may sell a DVD too, I haven't checked that.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Windows 8 is overwrought and gimmicky, upgrading to 10 is a no brainer. It is much better. I keep Windows 7, it is also better than 8. But I use the iPhone when speed is needed.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Quentin
    I certainly am not a computer Guerue! But I have Windows 10 on my new lap top. To me I would give anything to have my windows 7 or 8 back. It does have some good features but overall give me the old systems back!

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'm still running Vista on this laptop,it's all that I'm used to and familiar with. I bought a new laptop 2 years ago with Windows 8 and absolutely hate the damn thing. I don't even use it,and even tried to have Vista installed in it,but it wouldn't allow it.

I hate change of any type,and don't know anything about this computer stuff. I didn't even own a computer until 2008,and other than using one for forums,and storing pictures,I have no use for one.
    I guess when this laptop goes down or stops working,I'll go back to being without one. I've looked at Windows 10 and hate it worse than the new one I have with Windows 8.
    These computer companies need to understand that a lot of people didn't grow up with computers,and it's hard for us to grasp onto new technology and also the expense of having to keep buying new stuff every few years because they say what we have is obsolete. It's the same way with cars,I usually keep them for 10-15 years,and then when I do buy a new/newer one,I have to be taught how to operate every damn electronic component that they have invented since the last one I bought.
    After 4 years,I still don't know all the stuff the radio does in my 2012 power wagon,and will probably never learn.

5. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I'm keeping Windows 7 on my main PC , a tower desktop, but I've updated my older laptop from Windows 7 ( dual boot to Ubuntu ) , to Windows 10 without any problems. The dual boot still works, and I was able to setup Windows 10 to do what I want to do. I'm actually a little surprised since my wife has problems galore on Windows 10 ( with a touchscreen laptop ) . I consider Windows 10 a must have for anyone suffering with Windows 8, but for Windows 7 users, I'd stay with the tried and true ! :) Yes, I actually am a 69 year old geek !! :)

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Heck, my windows 98 is doing fine!!:)

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sniper, Win 7 is a great version of Windows but so is Win 10. I think you'll like it as you get more used to it. In fact there are many free books online that can help. Here's a link to an 18 page introduction you can download and print out: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47716

Vista is a bloated version of Windows like Win 8. But since Win 7 is quite good I debated about that update. Win 10 does seem faster, and certainly Edge is faster than Internet Explorer. I know I'm going to like it. You can't upgrade Vista to Win 10 unless you first upgrade Vista to Win 7.

Win 8 and 8.1 are better suited to tablets and touch screens, the upgrade to Win 10 is a real improvement.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 7 on my PC. My wife updated her laptop to 10 and it was a big mistake. It couldn't handle it. I bought her a new laptop for mothers day and it is working well but she cant get her old programs without paying. She is not happy. She now has to use my computer for some of the stuff she does. The maps for my old hand held gps are not compatible and new ones are not available so I may have to get a new gps.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Then DO NOT upgrade to Windows ME! :D :D

11. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Go ahead and go to WIn10 on your laptop. It's much easier to use than Win8. I'm still running Vista on my desktop but I'm running 10 on my laptop and it's not that different. Win8 on the other hand was an absolute nightmare. :)

12. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I upgraded as soon as it was available. There were a few glitches at first, but they seem to have them all ironed out now with the periodic fixes they send out. I find it to be MUCH faster, and much more stable. A HOT shutdown, which I have had to do three times now, caused no problem - it booted up more slowly afterward, but without incident.
    And Edge is one fast browser - I like it too!

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One little problem is coming in the future for Windows 10.

Microsoft is "giving" it out for free, but has figured out a way for us to "pay" later.

Other than waiting for that to happen, I have found that the games are no longer free, some "apps" (like IE) are hidden, getting into the system area is more difficult, why do I need an "airplane" mode on my PC?, and other pestering problems.

Some of my older programs take longer time to work, my backup external drive would "disconnect, reconnect, disconnect, reconnect..." and if the damn speakers are on, the dern thing emits the associated tones all day and night until I re-seat the USB connection (and there is no FAQ should something like that happen. You are on your own.).

Am I happy? No, but satisfied (for now).

14. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I run open SUSE linux on my lap top and PC at home, never was much of a Windows fan. I upgraded to 10 at work and find it crashes more often then 7 and 7 crashed too often. Don't know why they try to make the operating system try to be so much more then an operating system. Wish I could run linux at work also.

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Don't forget that Internet Explorer files ALL your web browsing history. It is never completely erased. Why Microsoft does it remains an exciting topic, as you can imagine. Firefox and Chrome don't do it. Google does other things, like glorifying America hating terrorist sympathizers with a doodle, but I use Chrome, for now.

16. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

17. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

6.2.... alas, how I long for it and all the *.*

(I still use batch files....for a few things, like a mass file rename in a directory)

18. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I certainly think 10 is better than 8 (and 8.1).... The biggest factor for me is adding Classic Shell, a sourceforge (free) shell that makes it just like 7, or XP... or whatever you want...

Each time one of my machines update, I hate finding out how to disable Cortana, Public Update Sharing, and other crap stuff.

But 10 out of the box is.... ok. I still think 7 was better.

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

20. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Don`t know, I`m still using Vista !....................