How do you like the .44 Magnum?need some advise

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Javierzzz28, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javierzzz28

Javierzzz28 New Member

Whats the difference between S&W .44Mag and Colt?
    It looks very handsome but i just wonder whether it fits me

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There is no .44 magnum handgun in the current Colt catalog. If you want a new gun, it will not be a Colt.

As far as Colt/ S&W differences- matter of taste. Some folks like chocolate, some like vanilla. Both companies made great handguns. For the past several years, Colt had focused more on their Defense Industries book of business, less on the Consumer customer.

3. cotex

cotex New Member

Reloaded so many 44 rounds, kinda lost interest, years back so it only come out once an awhile, 6 in colt anaconda ss with a Bushnell cheap tube dot. Would love to take a deer with it. Nothing like touching off a magnum round. Kinda need one mag gun in arsenal.

Tex

4. oldman10mm

oldman10mm Member

S&W M29/629 44mag available without price mark-up,Colt Anaconda 44mag is in the 'collector' status in price. To me,main difference is in the feel of the factory grips.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The .44s are definitely in the "try before you buy" range.

Short barreled models seem like a great idea for powerful

SD protection, but muzzle blast and flip make them miserable

to handle.

Some hunt with them, the scopes cost almost as much as the

pistol. If you get one with a longer barrel, and do you job, they

are very accurate.

6. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

you are missing one very important Magnum...I own both S&W and Ruger revolvers and they are both very good...I don't see a difference and would pick whichever you find...availability, prices and coolness

Attached Files:

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If by it you mean the Anaconda, go for it. The practical shooters' difference is immaterial. But if you ever run across a Powers Custom Ruger Redhawk (they used to bear the name Grandmaster also), stop and take a look. That's where a superstrong frame meets a super smooth action, and the parts or repairs are not out of this world. Yet.

The round itself, I don't care for it because I don't hunt deer. It would have remained a hunting round if not for that movie. But you can shoot 44 Sp and even 44 Russian. The latter is like cream puff coming out of a Redhawk or such.

The challenges with 44 Mag have been covered ^^^^
    Adding one more: how's your hearing? If you shoot it for sports (a lot) good luck with that. Guarantee you, every older fan of 44 Mag has hearing loss.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I own a S&W 629 and a New Model Super Blackhawk. Both are great guns. But the S&W is simply beautiful. I also like the look of the Ruger. But I do not like the look of the Super Redhawk. To me it looks like a snubby that someone added 3 or 4 more inches of the wrong barrel to. I think they are just goofy looking.

My wife is a great cook. But she is nice to look at too. See where I am going with that?:D

9. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I would suggest looking at Ruger as well.

As for me, I have a M29 and I shot it for the first time this summer and I loved it! To me, it was a lot of fun to shoot. Sadly I don't have the scratch to touch any Colt revolvers.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you do not have much trigger time with a .44, don't waste your money. I have a S&W 629 that I bought "used". Previous owner put 6 rounds through it and promptly traded it in. I picked it up for $299!

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about the Ruger! Honestly, I think it's ugly as hell. I would by one, sure, but for damn sure not because it looks good. And given a choice between it and a 29, I'd have to take the 29.

12. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Was the op referring to the caliber .44 colt?

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Humm? The movies made the .44 Mag. a defensive weapon? Maybe you were wearing paper pantys in the 1960s. The .44 Mag. 4" Mdl. 29s were scooped up by lawmen very fast. They proved too heavy and capable of shooting through an entire motel. The .41 Mag. in the Mdl. 58 4" was offered to law enforcement as an alternative. I owned 3 of the SFPD Motor Cop, Mdl. 58s after those were dumped for 9MM semi-auto pistols.
    Back 50 years ago most police forces allowed their officers to purchase what they wanted. :)

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i love the 44 Magnum and do lots of shooting with mine using a mix of 44 Spl. and 44 Mag, loads. i shoot more 44 Spl. loads, simply because i have more brass of that to reload.

i will add that the 44 Magnum is not for everyone and it's not for a beginners first pistol by any means. it is a round you work up to, not start out with.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Here in the Northern Rocky Mtns the .44 Mag. is the most seen in the field. It is not the most powerful six gun but is very versatile. It has proven to be effective against dangerous game. It can be loaded with .44 Shot shells for taking "Fool" hens. The .44 Special or .44 Russian are ideal for small game such as Snow Shoe rabbits. The .44 Caliber loaded with home cast bullets and low pressure loads are fun for plinking.
    I own a number of handguns but the S&W 29-2, 4" is my favorite belt gun.:)

Attached Files:

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you going to hunt with a 44 mag handgun a 44mag is a great choice. If not pass on by. With the colt being many years gone and NO factory support its not a good choice for most unless si ply collecting is what your after. S &W and Ruger current choices and flip a coin as to the one to buy.

If you want a big bore to enjoy and shoot buy a 45acp model 625 or ruger black convertible.

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm assuming he was referring to the 45Colt LC, an older, less powerful

rimmed pistol round of the same (loose) general size...

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Don't read too much between the lines. He was probably actually referring to what he said, a .44 mag Colt. They did make them, and they are well known even if they aren't readily available.

19. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Have S&W model 629 in .44 mag. works just fine for what I bought it for many years back and that is hunting. I target shoot with it once in awhile and it is sweet but wears me out after about 40 rounds back to back. Now prefer S&W model 686 in .357 caliber and mostly shoot .38 special through it.

20. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have always liked the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44magnum, the longer plow handle grip helps with felt recoil and they are very strong revolvers. I had a 10 inch barrel version that had been tricked out with a good trigger kit that shot extremely well,, traded it to a fellow during my first divorce,, he still has it and declines my offers to buy it back. Single actions are simply another option for you when considering your new .44, should you decide to pick one up and you can find some decent deals on previously owned revolvers. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.