How do you keep your serial numbers?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mopowerbmx, Apr 8, 2014.

1. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Any suggestions on how you keep your firearm's serial numbers. I had a written down list from years ago but it is forever lost. I decided to make a new list since I have collected and traded in the past several years. Should I have pictures of the guns accompanied by the numbers and should I put them in an email or online access. Or keep them on hard copies. What would be best for insurance companies incase of fire or theft?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Excel spreadsheet. You can fill columns with any data you want including pictures. Sort any way you want. Printout a list any time you want. Backups are good...

3. AnotherHenryBowman

AnotherHenryBowman New Member

I keep mine in an excell sheet (one tab for owned, one for sold). I do have pics of at least the SN, which I link into the spreadsheet. I back-up my laptop with Carbonite, so I can access the info from anywhere - no need to have hard copies. I've read about MYGun.DB which seems pretty good - I may look at getting that. It's n GunBroker for $35.

4. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I have a little problem. I'm behind the times you might say. The only internet and computer access is my iPhone. We do not own a computer,Cable TV,or any other fancy modern technology. Haha. I just looked at the AppStore and found a few spread sheets but they don't say if they can have pictures. I will download a few tomorrow and hopefully they will be right. Thanks guys.

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I don't believe in electronic gun records... Even for my own use... A bit too 1984 for me.

I make sure the SN's are on the sales slip or create one for private transfers and keep the lists as jumbled paperwork inside the fire resistant gun safe.

A second list... Photocopies of the original, is hidden between the pages of an anonymous book on the shelf of a relative unused library.

NOTE: most homeowner policies cover valuable up to 4k only. If your collection exceeded this you should talk to your agent about a rider.

Tack

6. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Mopower, MyGunDB.com does have a mobile app version for both Android and iOS. You can read all the details here and decide if it is full-featured enough for you.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm almost the opposite. I must have PCs and internet but refuse to pay a dime for cable/satellite TV and premium smart phones/plans, just free OTA HDTV and the cheapest cellphone/plan.

Decent Win 8.1 laptops can be found on sale for under $400, even with an Intel CPU. Fairly fast internet can be $50/month, depending on your area. Then you can stream Netflix to a big screen HDTV for $9/month.

Guess it depends if you want to drop the money on mobile or living room/office. Nice that there are so many choices.

Can you access Photobucket with your phone? Maybe the spreadsheet app can, too?

8. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Last question.....maybe. What about Ammo,and accessories. Would that be covered as well. The $4k thing ummm I need to check into that. Thanks for the heads up.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

everytime i get a new gun i take a photo of it. write down all the info on an index card. make model serial. price paid. date bought.. tape index card to back of picture. place in fire safe.. also working on an excel spreadsheet. but sucks playing catch up. lol

10. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

MyGunDB I believe is free for up to 5 guns. Granted most here seem to have way more than that.

11. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I just checked it out. It's up to 10. Looks nice but the reviews say it is very slow on the app. I'm going to download it tomorrow with the other spreadsheet apps. I'll just put my special ones on there. Not looking to spend $45 dollars for the full service. I like checks and balances so it's going to be spreadsheets and hard copies. God forbid anything to happen I have a few guns that are very close to my heart. Pass downs from grandfather to my father to me my son and hopefully his son.

12. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Serial numbers and pictures are on my PC. If I lost it I'm dead in the water - other than the backup I have on an external hard drive.

Good reminder - I just updated my BU data.

moPowerBMX - I'd suggest burning them to a CD with images too and put the CD elsewhere. Include images of your PC, guns and a text file of serial numbers.

You can copy images and text files (that's what I use) both to a common CD. Then if someone takes your PC and guns you can identify them all.

It is also recommended to take pictures of valuables in your home.

13. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

There is also a windows or Mac app the can be synced with the phone app. Gives the option of printing reports too. I know it can use Dropbox as the conduit, but I'm not sure about other ways of syncing.

14. indy36

indy36 New Member

I use "Gun ToolBox" for mine. It's an iPhone app, and is pass code protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

How do you like it? From the info it looks good.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I have a private Photobucket account & keep pictures of each firearm & serial number there.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IMPORTANT STUFF HERE

READ your Homeowner's policy. If you have forgotten how to read, call your insurance agent.

It will vary state to state, but MOST policies have a limit- usually $2,000- for loss of firearms, accessories and ammunition due to theft. Accessories means scopes, cleaning kits, cases, holsters, etc.

Oh- $2K is not enough? You want more insurance? OH-KAY! You can usually get more- many policies allow you to increase limits. Will cost you a little more. Still not enough? You can buy a valuable items floater to add to you policy. You can buy a separate policy on your firearms. If you are an NRA member, you have SOME firearms coverage once your homeowner's has reached it's limit.

What's that, bunky? You say you don't want to have to PAY for insurance? Excuse me for a moment.......

(Release the hounds....)

Before the horrible boating accident where all of my guns sank in the ocean, I sued to keep my inventory as a Word document, inserting photos into the document. When updated, sending a copy to my email folder, cc to my work email.

And- as mentioned- photos of interior of your house are a damned good idea. Said the man who had a home cut in half in 1989 by a 115 ft tall red oak. I had 2 pictures each room- from opposite corners. Just TRY to list everything in a room of your home right now from memory. Bet you forget the pictures on the wall, as well as some furniture, rugs, etc.

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yep... Most policies have a typical amount for household goods, IE furniture, colthing, ext... 20k to 40k... And a seperate clause for "valuables", IE GUNS and Jewelry with typical coverage amount of 4k to 8k.

From there, you need to buy riders for higher coverage of specific items.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have taken photos of most of my guns. Then I add text to the photo electronically. The text tells the make and model of the gun along with the serial number and amount paid for it or current value. I did this incase something were to happen to me. I want my wife to know what stuff is worth. I am sure that people try to be a widow's best friend just so they can take advantage of her.

There is a list of all the guns and serial numbers and values in a folder with the pics. It is saved on this computer and an SD card.

20. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

I have a speed sheet with pictures and 3 copys one in gun safe one at parents and inlaws