How do you keep your rounds dry?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Scratchammo, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I keep Remington subsonic .22lr rounds loaded in my mags & my mags stayed in my glove box but today after installing new sights few would fire & even fewer would fire with any real velocity. What should I do to preserve my ammo but also keep it readily available?

2. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

I keep mine in a drawer by my bed. I just take some silica gel/salt packets, and throw them on top of my boxes of ammo, or beside my mags. They work pretty well

3. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Silica Gel works great, but if you are a tightwad like I am you can use kitty litter in perforated cans to perform the same task. I use a can with a screw-on lid (pvc cleaner cans actually) drill about half a million 1/16" holes in it, fill it full and let it do its thing. (ok maybe not quite half a million) If you feel like they are getting water logged, you can throw the thing in the oven for a couple of hours at 300 degrees F. and it is all reconstituted.

A glove box is a nasty place to store ammo. Rapid changes in temperature and humidity can spoil you ammo rapidly. If you keep it in a climate controlled room, it will just about last forever. It seems that .22 ammo is getting worse and worse for misfires and squibs anyway, but that is a different story.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I use old ammo cans. If you think the seal is shot, put a thin bead of silicon caulk around it. Toss in a hand warmer, they eat oxygen and close it.

6. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Another poormans trick that works surprisingly well is pieces of corrugated cardboard. When I worked in constriction, we used to keep chunks of it in the screw containers to keep them from getting corroded.

7. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm gonna try silica first & see if that doesn't satisfy me.

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

While not in the correct forum I think it's still relevant- I also keep .357 mags in the glove box, are they prone to the same problem in his high Memphis humidity?

9. unclebear

unclebear New Member

when I go camping I usually take my 22 (if I can) and I just keep the ammo in one of those plastic fresh seal coffee containers, or if I forget that I usually take a zip lock bag for socks so I just throw it in there with them. My brother in law got a water proof camera case that he keeps mags in for his 22 pistol when he's go fishing it seems to work pretty well.

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I thought of trying that, I'd probably put the desiccant in there with it for good measure. Someone also mentioned the idea of a peanut butter jar.

11. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member