How do you grip your pistol?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by kirbinster, Mar 8, 2013.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

I am a fairly new shooter and was taught to grip the pistol with my right hand as high up on the grip as possible and then to wrap my left hand filling the gap between my palm and fingers with my left thumb along the barrel of the gun pointing forward and my right thumb parallel behind it. Recently I have seen people gripping the weapon with the left thumb on top of the right thumb pointing almost straight up.

I was wondering if anyone uses that second method and if they find it works better than the first. All comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

2. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

what you were taught, is the "right" way in my opinion, espeicaly on a semi-auto. revolvers can be tricky/different...especially a single action only revolver where you need to cock the hammer on each shot. On those, it's best to use your weak hand thumb to cock, so you may end up with a bit of a "crossed thumb" grip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Baxter

Baxter New Member

While grips can be important, it's also important to choose a grip you are comfortable with. my recommendation would be to try multiple grips and see what works best for you comfort wise and see which grip you are more accurate with. I personally use different grips depending on if I'm shooting my revolver or semi. With my revolver, I like to use my left thumb to cock the hammer to single action. And with a semi I usually have my left thumb under my right. Just try a few grips and see what works for you. Be careful though with gripping to high, don't want to get thumb bite ( slide racking back and getting your thumb).

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

This:
    image-3258732923.jpg

Not this:
    image-2313098962.jpg

And not this:
    image-3506032560.jpg

And for the love of The Lord, not this:
    image-3898164295.jpg

And experiment with this:
    image-1561347654.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

This but with my left index finger on the front of the trigger guard. I don't know how accepted this is among those in the know but it helps my personal accuracy. I apply a little pressure pulling the gun into my strong hand creating a vise like grip. Like I said, it helps me.

I noticed that my sig p229 has serations on the front of the trigger guard. If it is not for this use then why are they there?

ForumRunner_20130308_111551.jpg

6. Baxter

Baxter New Member

My personal favorite

Attached Files:

7. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

That's ghetto, Holmes

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Remember a firm grip is not a tight grip.

If you grip a hammer and try to nail, you want enough swing so the peen does the work and not your arm. Same thing with the handgun.
    Too tight of a grip and you will get tired more quickly than if you had a firm grip.

9. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

10. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Concentrate on your sights and trigger squeeze. Start getting good groups at fifteen to twenty-five yards. Your grip and stance will evolve.

Bob Wright

11. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

As to sight pictures, I've always preferred the six o'clock hold as opposed to the center hold. The center hold usually obscures too much of my target, and does not present as clear view of my sights. For small game, I put the whole head on top of my front blade.

Bob Wright

12. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

25 yards, I can't even see the target that far away :D

All kidding aside, as a new shooting I am concentrating on 7 yard and 10 yards. Don't see a point at spraying stuff all over the place until I can place them at shorter distances. The attached was at 10 yards with my Glock G22 .40 cal, still trying to overcome the low and left shots every once in a while.

Attached Files:

13. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Try shooting at a smaller target, say a 3" Birchwood Casey stick-on bullseye. The smaller your target, the more you'll concentrate.

Bob Wright

14. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

Thanks Bob. You can't really see it in this iPhone picture, but to the left and the right of the head are a pair of 3" or 4" targets.

15. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Ok Ok.... Here is the video to demonstrate this one!

[ame]http://youtu.be/iDnEkFSMRik[/ame]

.....Always make sure that you "Throw" the bullets!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  16. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

Oh, that is my mistake - I have not been throwing the bullets. I'll try this next time :D :D :D

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

He be jammin'
    Funnier than owl $#!t
    :D

18. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

What he said is what I know as the correct way for semi autos, but I always say to hold it the way that is most comfortable, as long as its safe.