how do you feel about polymer 1911's?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jjones45, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I once had a kimber bp ten 2 fullsize that was awesome and looked it to. It was super accurate and the only only had troubles feeding some cheap reloads a friend gave me. Literally ftfeed every shot. Other than that ball ammo and hollow points were fine. Another gun I wish I didn't sell. 10 round mags were good as well but expensive and hard to come by. I have to admit I thought it wasn't a real 1911 until I shot it.

2. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

Brother in law had one I thought it was nice he wanted to much for it so I never shot it wish we could have come to terms

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Functionally, I'm sure they're just fine.
    Aesthetically, an abomination.
    I could probably overlook the ugly factor if Rock River ever actually sells any to the public. I think a Commander sized polymer 1911 would make a nice carry gun.
    That old Kimber is like a unicorn these days. One in nice condition might be a worthwhile collectable someday.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have never shot one so I can't say anything about how it functions. I will say that I really don't like the idea. It's just not right.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just a personal opinion and preference, but polymer and 1911 should never be used in the same phrase!:eek:

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'd like to get my hands on a double stack polymer 1911 in 9mm:p

Call me crazy..

*is that gagging i hear?*

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. austin92

austin92 New Member

How do you feel about modern "muscle" cars made of plastic? Makes you miss back when they made real cars out of steel.... I'd pass on a poly 1911

8. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

id like to buy one, the reduced weight would make concealed carry more of an option.i carry one of my 1911s occasionally but would like to carry one more often.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My brother has a Kimber ultra II. I am no fan of the 45 acp. But I enjoy shooting that pistol. The night sights are easy on my old eyes, For a pistol with s 3" barrel it is very accurate. It could be the Kimber is the first sub compact pistol I have ever shot that I can hold with my thumb and three fingers.

Kimber pistols are not cheap. He stole the Ultra II he has for $750 used. The MSRP is right at $1200 for the Ultra II without the night sights.

10. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I feel the same way about a polymer 1911 as I do about fake boobs. Let's not go there.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It ranks right up there with a polymer framed Colt Single Action Army.

Ok, I don't want to be a snob, but why? It doesn't strike me as anything more than a novelty.

12. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Please don't put your 1911 anywhere near your mouth! :)

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Polymer 1911? Like ugly chicks and tricycles. Don't let your friends catch you with it.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

I dont see how it could work. The frame was designed with steel in mind at stress points. Much like ar15 designed with certain formulation of aluminum in mind.

Polymer can work fine in firearms when its built from the ground up with the strengths and weakness of polymer in mind as evidenced by various poly pistols and things like the scar series of rifles.

The problem with the 1911 is your substituting a weaker substance in key stress factors for a stronger one. Can it work?? I dunno. But i dont want to be an early adopter of one until its figured out

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

When I see people with an all steel Glock I"ll get a poly 1911.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Felt recoil of polymer framed pistols is different than metal framed.

If it runs a 1911ish slide on top with a poly frame, then it is not a 1911.

17. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Well I see most of the 1911 owners here just flat out don't like it. I can tell you that the one I had worked and worked well actually. I do miss that gun and now especially since I rarely see a poly 1911. Yes it was different but different is good sometimes. People use to see me with that gun and curiously ask if it was a plastic 1911. I would say "yeah wanna try it out?" They would shoot it and usually be amazed. Some did leave with a sarcastic grin on their faces though. However one guy did say "don't they make enough plastic guns, u gotta get a plastic 1911?". Another said " wow that's nice, i hope they don't start making all 1911s out of plastic though", that made me laugh. By the way these were usually older guys with all steel guns.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Mr. Jones, you described me perfectly as one of the "older guys with all steel guns."

19. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I'm sorry polymer Has no place on a 1911

20. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

The only thing I believe should not be polymer is a revolver. Everything else if it works it saves cost and weight. Key words: if it works