How Do You "DO" Home Defense?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ninjatoth, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I was just wondering what your plan of action is in the event your home is broken into.Mine is that I have a DA/SA 9mm with a magazine in it with the safety off,and the gun is in a closet that has an old holster mounted on the wall.All I need to do is run to the closet and grab the gun,I can do it in the dark too,and pull back the slide if need be.I used to have a revolver and I miss it.Even though the auto is pretty simple,it doesn't give me the sense of security the old .357 did.What is your plan or action you have if you ever hear someone breaking in?

Attached Files:

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have a loaded gun within a few feet of me anywhere I am in the house. On my desk where I'm typing this is a Walther PPK...

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Nightstand, SA XD45 with Surefire X300 flashlight.
    Corner of master bedroom, Browning BPS 12-gauge 20" barrel with (7) 3" 00buckshot.
    Top dresser drawer, Wilson Combat Tactical Elite .45 ACP 8+1.
    Middle dresser drawer, Taurus Judge with size 4 shot shells.
    Closet, Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special in .45 ACP, 8+1;
    Living room end table (and carry), Nighthawk T3 in .45 ACP, 7+1.

That's about it. Various guns loaded with 52 rounds of ammo. Then, if I go to the car, this changes a little bit.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Any kids in your place? And why do you think you need to store the pistol with the safety off...possibly in the dark?

5. Wolf1066

Wolf1066 New Member

Simple: I race out and confront the armed intruder, laugh maniacally as his ineffectual bullets bounce off my manly chest hairs then use my Mad Ninja Skillz(tm) to wrest the gun from him using only "reasonable force" (gods forfend I harm the poor underprivileged person whom society has forced to turn to a life of crime, his court-appointed lawyer would make me into hamburger) - or I expire messily in a hail of bullets or cower in my bed yelling "my computer and wallet are in the lounge, please don't hurt me"...

These are the only options the law allows me.

I'm not so sure on the efficacy of "Plan A", truth be told...

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

or that....what he said.

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I do have a 3 year old,that's why my gun is up so high in the master bedroom closet,and she can't get past the childproof locks to get into that room anyway,It's the best place I can think of putting it until I get one of those pistol lockboxes.I keep the safety off because it's just one more thing to forget,and I keep the gun unracked in case somehow(one in a million)my kid gets up there,nothing will happen by pulling the trigger.I will be retiring that gun for home defense in about a month because I am getting a GP100 .357 and will use that instead.

8. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I've got 17 rounds in my pants as I type this, 32 more on the way to the front door, and we all sleep right near a Maglite at the end of the day. I just can't see anyone doing a B/E sending an announcement beforehand.
    That, and we have that Chihuahua/Jack Russel thing patrolling the compound.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Good answers.

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The law where I am allows you to shoot and kill anyone who breaks into your house with no consequences.I did used to think my mad skills would be enough to ward off attackers-but there's a time to retire the numbchucks once reality sets in that without a gun i'm a dead ninja.Sorry to hear about your laws.I heard someone else on another site complain about Newzealand.I guess I should not complain about not getting my pistol carry permit,because I can own whatever firearms I want and use them on my property for defense.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

In Texas, we can shoot an intruder in the house or on your property. So if someone's trying to steal your car or your wheels, as long as it's on your property, you can protect it.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I believe we can shoot and kill anyone who breaks into the house whether they are armed or not-but we can't shoot them if they are simply on our property,unless they are attacking you.I heard a story on the news a few months ago where someone shot someone outside thier house because the dude was trying to set his house on fire-no consequences from that,that I know of.Alot of crazy stuff happens here in Michigan,espacially in Saginaw,Flint and Detroit.

13. Wolf1066

Wolf1066 New Member

I can own a variety of firearms depending on how much time and money I'm prepared to invest. Rifles deemed to be "sporting" and shotguns are permitted on my current licence. If I joined a pistol club, fulfilled the right criteria and bought the right safe and carry case, I could upgrade to a pistol licence and apply to buy any pistol for which I can furnish a suitable reason for wanting. If I shelled out enough money on a rifle safe and admin fees, I could get a Military Style SemiAuto endorsement that would entitle me to buy firearms such as the AK-47, M16 and other guns that are restricted "because they look scary". A lot more money, checks and applications and I could get a collector's licence that would allow me to apply to purchase anything - pistols, submachineguns, even GPMGs and mortars (but I would not be allowed to fire them at all).

Getting
    the things is a matter of a clean record and expensive stuff/applications. Using them for self-defence has been legally upheld in court cases but the legal storage requirements are such that the firearms and ammunition are likely to be separately locked away when someone breaks in brandishing a shotgun - not a lot of use for self-defence in that state...

Air and CO2 rifles and pistols are permitted without a licence if you're over 18 - but they're not a lot of use, either.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Here in the state on Michigan USA all long guns,rifles or shotgun can be sold without a permit at age 18.A pistol must be purchased through a pistol permit,and as long as you aren't a criminal or mental incapable,you will have your permit within 10 minutes of applying.Must be 18 to buy a handgun or long gun from an individual-but must be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer.On a funny note-pellet pistols require a pistol permit as if it were the same as a .357-it's stupid.

15. Wolf1066

Wolf1066 New Member

Stupid laws abound - usually due to stupid politicians.

I should clarify my earlier post: the MSSA endorsement is for semiauto versions only, such as the semiautomatic Norinco AK-47 clone, semiauto variants on the M16 style, L1A1 (semiauto version of the FAL) - any semiauto that has one or more of the following:

Free standing pistol grip (which our benighted Commissioner of Police is trying to unlawfully reinterpret to include hole-through stocks - a pox on him and his family)
    Bayonet lug
    Flash suppressor
    "High capacity" magazine (> 7 rounds centrefire or > 15 rounds .22 rimfire)

So an L1A1 with its 20-round mag, flash suppressor and free standing pistol grip is definitely a Military Style Semi Automatic, and therefore needs more restrictions than a 4-shot .308 semiautomatic rifle with Monte Carlo stock.

Because we all know that scary-looking weapons are more deadly than "normal" weapons, eh.

The MSSA endorsement ("Category E") allows you to fire those semiautos.

To legally own the fully auto versions of the above, you need a collector's endorsement ("Category C") - which entitles you to buy them, lock them away and never fire them - not even in semi-auto mode.

Seriously, you might as well buy Denix metal reproductions or quality airsoft weapons - they are just as "shootable", cost less and require far less costly security (and no costly licence).

Pistols bought on a collector's endorsement may not be fired at a range.

Some of our weird laws I agree with - like the one that states that if it looks sufficiently like a real firearm and is brandished in that manner, it is treated as a real, loaded firearm - even if it's a Tokyo Marui airsoft.

Certainly the duress the victim feels is the same as with a real weapon (the brandisher is not going to say "hand over your cash, I have a plastic replica.") and at a distance, not even the most eagle-eyed cop/Armed Offenders Squad member is going to be able to tell if it's a toy or the real deal.

So if you do that, expect to get shot by a cop wielding a real weapon. And no sympathy from anyone.

Well, anyone with a few brain cells, anyway.

And one law I like:

We are permitted to manufacture any firearm for which we hold a licence, provided we give it a serial number.

If I had the facilities and skills, I could manufacture a rifle or shotgun. Anyone got scaled plans for a flintlock mechanism? :D

Firearms have been used in self-defence here, the key points are: the shooter has to reasonably believe their life (or the life of another) is in imminent danger, there must be no other reasonable courses of action (like fleeing) possible, the shooter must shoot to stop (not kill) and they'd better have a plausible reason why they had a firearm in a state where it could be readily used.

Even our cops must only shoot to stop.

"Shooting to stop" entails shooting the centre of mass until the person stops.

16. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i have a .45 at my bedside at all times plus my rat terrier will give a bad guy away before he could break and enter.

17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Ha, you too Wolf? :rolleyes:

Hey hang onto those rights, mate. You can have a sh*tload of stuff (semi-autos/hell even airsoft etc) that we can no longer have...but then you never had a rolled-gold wanker like John Howard as PM, did you?

Have to admit when I think about the theorectical possibility of home defence via firearm...it is a pretty heavy thing to contemplate, if you haven't been raised in that kind of culture.

But I daresay we'd get used to it pretty easy enough if the laws were different; once the crims realised we were on a even level ;)

18. Wolf1066

Wolf1066 New Member

It is a pretty heavy thing to contemplate for those of us not raised in an area where such rights are accorded. But it's also rather heavy when you hear of a young Maori bloke sitting at home watching TV with his young wife and infant child, there's a knock on the door and he goes to answer it suspecting nothing - because you do that here - then finds himself shot in the foot with a shotgun and hustled back into the house by an armed attacker.

He, his wife and infant child are then tied together on the couch, he's bleeding profusely and in pain, and the assailant and an accomplice ransack the place looking for drugs, threaten their lives and won't believe they have no drugs.

Seems the previous tenant had been a druggie and these guys thought he still lived there. They terrorised a young couple and threatened the life of their infant child and eventually left them bound on the couch - all because of wrong information.

That sort of sh!t makes you think, "Hmmmm, perhaps we need proper self-defence laws."

I don't know what I'd do if someone invaded my home and threatened the lives of my children, but I'd want to do something, I would not want to feel as helpless as that bloke and his wife bound on the couch with their lives and the life of their infant at the mercy of armed thugs who shoot first then try to determine if they got the right people...

19. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

Smith and Wesson M&P .45 on my night stand. Loaded magazine, but not one in the chamber, safety precaution. You have to throw my bedroom door open to get in, so I'll know when someone is trying to get in.

20. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter New Member

I have a CZ-82 next to my recliner on a tabel in the liveingroom and I have a Maverick 88 Security 18.5" barrel pump shotgun 26'' from my left hand as I type this. It's loaded with Remington 3" magnum 00 buck shot.
    When I go to bed it will be next to my bed...A.H