How do you define "Tactical". ?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Feb 3, 2020.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A neighbor and I were shooting at cans the other day . He had a Ruger LC9 , me , my G17 . We got to talking about "tactical" .
    What is "Tactical". ? Me , .....
    Reliability...
    Capacity...
    Low maintainence...

John equally arguing Ruger ,
    Proven years performance ....
    Reliability ...
    Capacity....

I broke out my 4 33 round mags and again , (CAPACITY , LOW MAINTAINANCE) .....! In the bush for three weeks with no cleaning , oil , I prefer my G17 .......!

John , well , I'll still take my Ruger !
    They are both great guns but I just have more faith in Glock's sloppy action when it comes to no cleaning and such .

Define "Tactical" please . What would you pick and why , where does the "Tactical" play in to this ?

2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

In the real world it means something executed right now for effect as opposed to strategic which requires more planing and assessment of net effects and intended or unintended potential consequences. So as an example, “we are going to invade Iran” is strategic, “we are bombing a city block that has a bomb factory in it”, tactical.

When it comes to firearms it’s mostly a marketing term meaning it looks menacing...

It has no bearing on reality, my Remington 700 hunting rifle is FAR more deadly than anything that has the name Tactical in my safe.

3. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

When I was in the army the PLDC definition was it strategy was your long term, overall goal and tactics were the specific actions that you took to reach that goal.

Tactical has become more of a marketing slogan than anything else. I used to work for a security company that issued me 5.11 "tactical" Polo Shirts. They weren't any different than any other polo shirt I've ever bought except for maybe the Pen pocket on the sleeve and the $60 price tag.

But because they were "tactical" 5.11 could charge a premium for them.

dango and Rifling82 like this.
  4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

“Tactical” :rolleyes:

dango and W.T. Sherman like this.
  5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

It’s All marketing these day’s and there’s Actually guys that buy things because the package says “tactical”:D:p

OLD Ron, dango and W.T. Sherman like this.
  6. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Tactic: a plan, procedure, or expedient for promoting a desired end or result.

Probably the Ruger, but I chose M&P. I go for made in USA first and foremost, and the M&P just felt right in my hand and had a crisp OEM trigger. That's no slight against Ruger. They make fine products too.

For shooting cans all are 'tactical'. Upgrades might make them more 'tactical', if they help you hit the can more often.

For going to war you'll take what they supply, usually. Probably not a 9 mil though.

What is 'tactical' depends on what your goal is. You work back from there.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    dango and Rifling82 like this.
  7. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

or that all encompassing word, "MILSPEC". put that word in front of anything, charged a bunch more money for it, and these guys will come out the woodwork to buy it
    [​IMG]

7.62 Man, alsaqr, dango and 1 other person like this.
  8. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

eyeballs on the enemy is tactical

practical under tactical conditions is tactical

most of what is currently peddled as tactical, is tactical to the same extent that anything red, white and blue was patriotic in 1975. I was very relieved when July 5, 1976 dawned.

dango likes this.
  9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Today, "Tactical" means it costs 30-40 percent more for the same item.:(

10. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Missed it by that much.

Strategic is we're going to remove the current government of Iran and replace it with a regime that is more friendly to US interests.

Tactical is blowing up the bomb factory and invading Iran

dango likes this.
  11. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Tactical,,,,tac tick cull ‐-- The most overused meaningless word in gun related marketing .

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Tactical- 10 kilotons or less yield.

Strategic- MUCH larger!

[​IMG]

sheriffjohn, manta, RJF22553 and 6 others like this.
  13. W.T. Sherman

[​IMG][​IMG]

now, if you ever saw that movie, and I recommend you do if you haven't, when they were doing the bomb check on the bomb, he read off a check list to set the bomb for airburst at XXXX feet, sorry can't remember the height. that wasn't a airburst it was a ground burst

a bit of trivia for ya :D. in case it ever comes up at a family/friends gathering :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    dango likes this.
  14. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

You're sure getting your nickels worth out of that pic.

bluez and dango like this.
  15. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

The other much over used words more so by the media is "tactical long range sniper's rifle and scope" referring to what we refer to as a hunting rifle with a scope on it.
    One of the window licking gun grabbers a few years back referred to hunting ammo as deadly sniper ammunition good to a 1000yds and also said that the rifle used shot deadly sniper ammunitions as a rapid rate........................the rifle this born again idiot referred to was a bolt actioned rifle.
    This is the stupid we have to put up with.

dango, Ghost1958 and Rifling82 like this.
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Re: Major Kong riding the nuke-
    1. Before he was an actor, Slim Pickens was an actual cowboy, worked the rodeo circuit and had been a rodeo clown.
    2. The script called for Peter Sellers to be the pilot that rode the nuke. He broke his hip just before filming was to start- and Slim Pickens got his best known role.

bluez, RJF22553, dango and 2 others like this.
  17. W.T. Sherman

he was fricken hilarious in BLAZING SADDLES this is just one of the many scenes that has me ROTFL. even now after seeing the move a few hundred times[​IMG]

dango likes this.
  18. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

Your gun is considered "tactical" if you have to take multiple breaths while counting how many rails on the gun. ;)

dango likes this.
  19. leadcounsel

leadcounsel Active Member

It seems to me "tactical" is derived from the root "tactic" or "tactics" as in "sound tactics."

Tactics are smart, thought out, deliberate, efficient planning and execution developed through skill and training.

To be "tactical" means you're the type of person who trains, learns, and deploys smart efficient maneuvers and actions with the goal of a certain result or results. Generally with using P.A.C.E. (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency) planning or similar.

"Tactical" as an adjective to describe inanimate equipment offers multiple meanings. First, it relates to the verb "tactical" so that a person who employs "P.A.C.E" would desire this equipment. The equipment allows the user to be "tactical" or have multiple options to support his PACE plan. The equipment itself is inherently also tactical meaning it has PACE designs.

Let me illustrate.

An AR15 rifle with a red dot optic, iron flip up sights, bayonet/lug, 30 round magazine, collapsing stock, and single point sling offers a lot of "tactical" options.

Primary scope is a red dot. Alternate scope is iron sights. Contingency is no optics and point-shoot.

Primary weapon is 30 rounds of ammo (each of these bullets - in an OODA [observe, orient, decide, act] loop - may be PACE themselves). If that fails a Alternate might be a fixed bayonet and contingency might be to release the weapon and let it drop but it's still affixed with single point sling, and the user can draw a handgun.

Being compact or compactable is an inherent feature, making it easier to transport for concealment and easy to assemble or deploy quickly, as part of a PACE plan.

Body armor is "tactical" meaning a person has offensive and defensive capabilites on and inside the carrier. Defensive in that you have body armor plates or kevlar or stab resistant inserts as a primary defense. The carrier may also have a first aid kit as a alternate defensive plan. It may also have offensive tools, such as a pistol, rifle magazines, pistol magazines, pepper spray, etc. One might also have a communication system to call for offensive or defensive assistance as part of the PACE...

An armored law enforcement vehicle is "tactical" in that it can provide offensive and defensive rolls. It can speed, chase, and ram and pit maneuver. It is defensive in that it has video surveillance, radio communications, and is sometimes bullet resistant as cover or concealment. It can carry a lot of equipment such as weapons, first aid, liters, etc. It can transport officers or subject or victims. This gives an officer a lot of offensive and defensive options. It would be a tactical tool allowing endless PACE planning.

An officers belt offers numerous "tactical" options. Pistol, ammo for various platforms, radio, OC spray, taser, handcuffs, batton, etc. An entire escalation of force buffet to select from.

And so forth.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    dango likes this.
  20. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok then .......that would make our local "Mall Ninja" more "Tactical" than most , got it ! Along with surplus combat boots with trouser blousers , camo gear , speedo , pants , shirt and their down with up cap , utility belt with all the gadgets , guess I'm invisibly tactical .......got it !

W.T. Sherman, PeeJay1313 and Wambli like this.