How do you deal with pest/leeches?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Poink88, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Sorry but I am not talking about the ones you find in the river. ;)

About 7 years ago, my brother-in-law (BIL) and sister-in-law (SIL) helped a "family" friend who at that time recently moved to the USA. They offered her to stay in one of their 2 BR 2 bath apartments for free until she is able. The apartment comes with free sewer and water. Since my in-laws (my SIL parents) live next to her (it is a duplex), she also get free cable and internet connection from them. She eats at their apartment half of the time and did her laundry there until midnight at times until they got fed up and gave her a washer and dryer. The kicker...to date (7 years later) she is still living there for FREE. :eek:

BTW, she has a stable good paying job almost immediately and bought a brand new car though a friend offered her a perfectly working but older car for $1.00. Buys a ton of things online and turned the 2 BR apartment into a cluttered mess. If anyone watches "Clean House"...she is a prefect candidate for that.

My SIL/BIL want to kick her out but they are too nice and don't want to hurt her feelings. They are hoping she will realize it by her self. I offered to talk to the leech but they refused. I also told them that the apartment manager can take care of it if they want but again, they refused.

I gave up already but since we visit my in-laws monthly, my blood pressure shoots up every time I see the leech!!! She knows how I feel and makes herself scarce whenever I am there (for the past 4 years). My in-laws are still civil with her but also nearing their limit. She flooded her bathroom once and we had to clean and dry 2 of our carpeted rooms!!!

Any suggestions on how to deal with this (pest) situation?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

You have mentioned all the right ways. Until your In-laws decide to do something, there is nothing you can do.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

KICK HER OUT.

Unless she has a lease then she needs to go.

Take a lease over to her and say rent is going to be $2k a month. She either signs or she gets out within 48 hours. That is it.

Or

You remove yourself from the problem and not worry about it because it is not your problem.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Sorry, but there is nothing you can do at all. This has to be their decision.

Ok... maybe there is one thing you can do. Get them to call Dr. Laura. She'd have a field day with them.

5. amoroque

amoroque New Member

7 years???? What the heck???

I would agree with Tango. They need to kick her out, but unfortunately there is nothing you can really do.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

First of all, I believe you will find it harder to just kick her out. She has laws on her side. I would ask the in-laws (MIL) specifically to draft up a lease at the going rate + utilities and go talk to her. Say things like, "You've been great, and I'm glad we were able to help you get on your own two feet here. Since you have made it, I think it only fair that we help you even more by letting you become totally independent. Sign this lease, and again I'm glad we can help you take the next step."

At that point, MIL smile, shuts-up, and looks her straight in the face. The first person to speak next, loses.

Reinforce the fact that she is not independent until she pays all her own way. Let her know that coming over to eat once in a while is still cool.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I know...it is just tough when you see someone taking advantage of people you care about.

BIL/SIL don't really care about the rent money since they make more than enough but for me it is the principle and everyone are grinding their teeth including my BIL's mother who is the friend of the leech.

As I posted on another thread...the leech will probably die of old age in the apartment and my SIL/BIL will end up paying for her funeral services as well. :rolleyes:

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

How the hell old is this lady?

She doesn't have a lease like skull said she may own the dam place by now look up squatters rights in your state.

Maybe go to the bad part of town and pay a couple of bad 20 somethings to come break into her house a few times.

Me I have no heart. I would go in there and start hauling crap out stating that we need to renovate the place. I would remove all the windows and then order new ones. I would remove some of the plumbing fixtures then order new ones. I would start tearing out carpet stating that I need to replace it. I would start tearing out drywall and shut the electric off because I am moving walls and outlets. No lease no worries.

This is why you never rent to family or friends. They will take advantage of you every time. My parents are dealing with this right now.

9. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I am really bad estimating age but probably 65 to 70 now judging between the ages of her friend and my in-laws who are her contemporary.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

As others have suggested, i vote have the in-laws hand her a lease to sign & tell her that they have been glad to help her get off to a good start in the country.

If she is pushing 70, this won't get easier with time...................unless she croaks suddenly (not a hint).

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You have got to be kidding! I thought you were talking about a 20 something. Someone that age should have some morals about them!

12. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

MORALS...

I was not going to discuss this but the real reason I got ticked with her was her other actions. I am a catholic...not as devout as my in-laws and my wife but discerns right from wrong.

This leech used to work as a religious mission volunteer in Africa (almost like a nun). Not sure what the reason is but they kicked her out. When she came here, she was given a job as a "Chaplain" by a hospital. The bad part is that she used to have a boyfriend who is now a priest. The priest at one point (decades ago) almost left the priesthood for her but was convinced not to. The lady married and had kids then got widowed.

The priest lives about 4 hours away and a few years back, he would visit regularly and will stay in the apartment on weekends. One time my in-laws visited and the priest is almost naked in this OLD lady's bed. They made excuses that she is using the other bedroom etc. but I am not buying that. I am not a saint but I expect higher moral standards from those who serve the faith.

That, coupled with numerous "stuff" made me "hate" her like no other. Mind you, I dislike a few people but hardly hate anyone (probably she is the only one).

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

This depending on the laws in your state could be a reality. Even if she doesn't get saved by something like this it can pretty hard to kick out a tenant. Especialy one that has had no lease, no rent, no nothing for all this time.

14. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Yeah, may be difficult legally to do anything...and I can see how her rapidly advancing age might have stopped your in-laws from saying anything to this point, out of the kindness of their hearts...

I think legal advice should be the next step, once you find out what the options are then if the law is on your side you can work out a way of breaking it to her, at least a diplomatic attempt.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If it were me, I think I would get everyone together. Your BIL, the leach and any other family members involved for a sit down. If it means you being the one who starts the whole process then that may be what's needed and what you'll have to do.
    With everyone present I would explain that to her that she has been there for years without paying rent. She has a good job and in order for her to stay there she needs to start paying rent. On top of that she needs to take better care of the apartment and explain what is expected of her. Make her sign a lease.
    I'm all for helping people but from what you've said she is taking advantage of the situation.

16. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

She finally moved out!!! Yeyy!!!

She had to relocate due to work and used the apartment the last 3 months as her storage...even asking if she can use it indefinitely so she'll have her own place when she comes to visit. WOW!!! :eek:

BTW, all the household stuff she borrowed (dining set, cookwares, furniture, etc.) were all gone when she left. Amazing.

Just glad that she is gone and the apartment is now being remodeled and in-laws are hoping to have it rented again next month.

17. freefall

freefall New Member

Too cool! Ask her who she thinks wants to see her again.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Congrats on the pest migration!

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Glad we could help Poink.

20. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

A shout out to all who wrote offering advise and assistance. You know who you are. Thanks guys!!!