How do you clean rust off a gun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by DerickVonD, Jul 18, 2012.

1. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

I just bought my first shotgun from a friend, Remington 1100 for $150, couldn't pass up the price. Only thing is there is a little bit of rust on the outside.

2. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

There are a few threads on this already. I think kroil works but I havent tried it yet

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Copper brush and Rem oil. Copper is softer than steel but still removes rust, just be careful not to get excited, it can remove the finish too.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have had success with many guns using 0000 steel wool soaked in oil,just don't rub very hard until you are sure it isn't scratching the finish.Same method works great on old dull stocks too.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

All of the above work, as does WD-40 and steel wool. If you have to go hard enough to remove bluing to get the rust it's rebluing time. Good luck.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get ya some!

Attached Files:

7. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

This steel wool, do you have to get this at a gun shop? I'm guessing you can't just use the steel wool thats in the kitchen.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Don't take steel wool to any gun!

Get some Kroil and a good cotton rag, like a wash cloth, and use some elbow grease!

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Kroil is the best penetrating oil I have ever used. Wet it with Kroil, let set for a few hours. Use clean cotton, rub, switching to clean spots on the cloth. Repeat until arm falls off, then change hands.

For SEVERE rust, rather than steel wool, go find a COPPER Chore-Boy pot scrubber. Wet gun with penetrating oil, let soak, scrub lightly with Chore Boy. Copper is softer than steel. You will wind up with a coppery looking gun. Remoisten with oil, switch to clean cotton cloth.

Do not use a Brillo pad. Commercial steel wool comes in different grades. You can get it in the paint dept at Lowes or Home Depot. 0000 (4 ought) is the finest you will likely find, but is is STILL much more abrasive than the copper pot scrubber, which is more abrasive than the oil and cloth.

10. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

i used real fine steel wool or the rag and elbow grease. i cant think of my oil off the top of my head but both methods work.