How Do You Clean a Nickel Finish?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CA357, Jun 5, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I've been doing some wheeling and dealing and selling and begging and have bought a bright nickel finish Browning Hi Power. It was manufactured in '80 or '81 in Belgium and it's about 95% or so. It also has the original wood grips with the Browning B medallion. I'm not a shiny gun guy, but this thing is drop dead gorgeous, at least to me. It just has a look about it.

I plan on using it for its intended purpose and it will be a shooter. Unless shooting it is heresy? Let me know.

So... How do I clean and maintain the finish?

Here's a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. freefall

freefall New Member

You can't clean and maintain this finish. Sell it to me for $25. I can handle the pain.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Pretty gun CA...you lucky SOB!! :D

4. CA357

You're a prince Freefall. ;)

Thanks Dune.

It looks like it should be in a Bogart movie to me. :cool:

Btw, I fixed the pictures. I had meant to post pics of both sides.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  5. freefall

freefall New Member

You have shamed me CA. I'll give you $50. And still bear your pain. Seriously, good on you, hope you didn't have to mortgage your kids. Having recently entered the world of 9mm I lust for a High Power. If you're going to go, go first class, right?

6. CA357

I had a new blued model a few years back and it was fine, but nothing special. I next had an Argentine FM Hi Power that I actually liked better than the Browning. I sent it to Novak's for some love and it really was a great pistol.

This will be my third Hi Power and it will be the one I keep. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure things out. ;)

7. Viking

Viking Active Member

That is outstandingly beautiful.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Flitz. Nice pistola.

9. CA357

Thanks c3. I'll get some.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What a find! I don't even want to know what it cost........it's worth it!

Shooters right about the Flitz, but once its shiny, there is only one thing I use to keep it that way.

[​IMG]

You can get a sample here: (You use very little and for guns this may last you forever.)

Renaissance Wax Sample Size Tin

Don't even think about it, just get some and thank the old canester later!

Just remember this is the last stuff you put on a surface. (Read: have it clean and as shiny as you want it before waxing) It is not a cleaner or polish. It is a protective coating that will surprise you with its ability to conceal fingerprints!

11. CA357

Thanks for the tip and the link Cane. I just ordered some. :cool:

I don't own any safe queens and I plan on shooting it. Is that a sacrilege?

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Shoot the snot out of it!

13. CA357

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Cane. :D

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Beautiful firearm! Maybe some nickel-plated ammo?

{wonders about the ballistics of the common booger}

15. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

You can use Flitz (I prefer Simichrome) once or twice over the lifetime of the pistol. Use it lightly. Don't rub hard. Polishes are abrasive, and you will wear through the thin nickel plating. Yes, Flitz is abrasive-regardless of what the package says.
    Waxing is a good idea. Neutral paste shoe polish holds up better and is a lot cheaper than Rennaissance Wax. R/W is designed for easy application to items that won't be handled. Wax shoe polish is designed for shoes.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  16. AMBASSADOR

AMBASSADOR New Member

Cleaning nickle guns

I recently bought a nickle Browning BDA.380ACP.I use mothers wheel&mag polish to keep it shiny,it works on my stainless guns also very well.

Attached Files:

17. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Mother's is also abrasive. See above.
    Nickel plating is very thin. Stainless goes all the way through. See the difference?

18. CA357

Nice BDA Ambassador. :cool:

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Beautiful Addition Don!! Very nice pistol. *drooling*

I agree that Flitz is useful, but it is semi abrasive and can cause some damage.

I agree with Cane, you should definitely shoot that beauty and get it doing what it was intended to do.

One thought though, have you considered getting it refinished with Hard Chrome??

JD

20. CA357

I really like a hard chrome finish and it would certainly be tougher than the nickle. However, out of respect for this particular pistol, I will leave it stock. There aren't all that many of the nickle models out there.

If I should get lucky and prosperous enough to get another, hard chrome is definitely on the table. My Argentine Hi Power was hard chromed and it looked great and wore like iron. It was also easy to maintain the appearance.