How do you carry 1911?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by cblowe13, Aug 17, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Okay I know we have a few threads going about bullet in the chamber. My question is how do you carry your 1911. I am not against .45 but I personally carry my citadel 1911 9mm cocked and locked, i will be honest though It does scare my a little having a gun like that hanging near the jewels. So how do you guys carry it? The same condition or what?

2. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Why do you have your firearm pointed at your junk????

3. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

It's the only place it feels comfortable to me I tried 3 o clock but I haven't found a good paddle.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I carry in a holster. Finger outside trigger guard until its pointed at a valid target.

5. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

May I ask what holster? And do you leave one chambered safety on

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

I carry owb using a springfield armory gear holster they make em for 1911 and xdm. The xdm model fits my xdm's, berreta m9a1's, sig p220 and most poly type guns. I carry my ruger lcp in a generic pocket holster.

All my carry guns have a round chambered mag topped off. Carrying an unloaded gun is like a eunoch tryng to father a child.... pretty damn useless for the job. 1911 hammer back safety on, m9 safety off hammer down

7. kdog

kdog Member

In my humble opinion, due to the fact, that a 1911 is a SA Only pistol, it only makes sense to carry it cocked and locked.

Now regarding the type of holster. If I understand correctly, you carfry your 1911 in a holster in the front pointing at your jewels. ok, that would sounds a bit uncomfortable (in terms of the fact the muzzle is pointing at the crotch).

I guess 3 o`clock means right side. Have you tried a holster in a 5 o`clock position or further back?
    I don`t know, if they are still sold, but years ago you could get a holster, that was positioned horizontal in your back (kind of like in Hitman 47 (game and movie)). They are called backdraw holsters.

Just as an idea.

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

I'll chime in, because I am interested in gun safety, and bewildered by 1911s in the cocked and locked position.

I read occasionally that a 1911 user, goes to draw his firearm to put it away, and realizes , while loaded, cocked, it was not locked. Somehow, during a days activities, the safety had gotten moved to the fire position.

I owned and carried a 1911 clone, a Star PD some years ago. I would never carry my PD cocked and locked. Did not feel absolutely secure.

I know millions of accumulated hours go by without 1911s constantly going off via negligent discharge, but the tiny amount of inadvertent force to remove the safety from the safe position troubles me enough, I could not carry one, or recommend others do so cocked and locked.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  9. hmh

hmh New Member

Round in the chamber safety on hammer cocked (it is unsafe to have the hammer lowered). Jit slide 4 o'clock position

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Condition 1-in my front pocket.

There are also holsters. I like the standard side holster, and also a

cross-draw. The side unit hangs too low for CC, though.

11. hmh

hmh New Member

For a 1911 to go off you have to have the safety off beaver tail safety depressed and the trigger pulled. Isn't going to accidentally happen.

12. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I do inner waist band in the colder months, I don't carry my 1911 much when it's warm out and clothing is a bit thinner.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Cocked and locked.
    Shoulder, IWB, OWB, and SOB. It depends on what I have planned and how I dress.

14. jp_over

jp_over New Member

Happened years ago so I don't recall the holster, but I had an SA 1911 TRP (this model features a slightly oversized strong side safety + ambidextrous safety) that I carried for about a week, cocked and locked. One day I noticed the safety was off and wasn't too cool with it (it must have happened some time during the course of the day, getting in and out of my vehicle, etc.). So, my preference for 1911s has moved to strong side, stock (Colt) sized safety only.

Of note, I don't carry cocked and locked anymore but don't fault those who do. I think the original safety is much more forgiving for daily carry than what I had. These days, mostly, I use a Galco summer comfort IWB for my G19 but plan on getting a N82 soon after I get back to the US.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  15. jebsca

jebsca New Member

I was about the same way until...

One day as I was carrying around the house, I needed to go to walmart. I got in the jeep knowing that my jacket was in the back seat, and I would put it on when I got to the store. Turns out, my wife had pulled my jacket out for me. I desided it was time to try just under a shirt. After that, I will carry under about anything.

And its about 3 o'clock, cocked and locked, iwb. I use an Uncle Mikes, and keep thinking I should get something that cost more, but that is a confortable holster.

16. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

If you load any firearm and don't touch then it won't go off. The problem is that when dealing with human beings they do stupid things. They will accidently put of the safety they will hold the beaver tail and they will shoot themselves and others.

Its simple if there is no round in the chamber a firearm can not shoot accidently or any other way. So people can make up their own way on how to carry their firearm. A round in the chamber that will make them a second or two quicker to use the firearm than someone that carries loaded but no round in the chamber. But they are less likely to shoot themselves or someone else.

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I carry strong side cocked and locked. The holster is a Galco with thumb break, and it's worn at about 4 or 5 o'clock with the strap under the hammer. My second choice for a holster is a King Tuk IWB. Same position, same condition.

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Chambered, cocked and locked, in a Winthrop IWB leather holster, strong side at 3:30.

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

That is one reason why I don't like ambidextrous safeties on a carry handgun. I know there is a good reason for them, but I just don't feel comfortable with them.

20. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I appreciate all of the input here. I do not mind carrying cocked and locked as I have had a fair amount of training. I'm no expert by any means I just cannot get comfortable with anything other than 3 o clock or the crotch carry. What 1911 has the smallest safety? My citadel is pretty small, I prefer one like this or rock island. Owned a ruger once and had same situation as mentioned above about safety going off. That steered me away from that one. I also have a galco but I'm thinking about maybe getting a custom holster.