How do you beat the heat?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MisterMcCool, Jul 2, 2013.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a dilemma. I work alone, outside, in rural America. The heat index is well above 100° all summer. (sometimes 130°+ :eek: ) I spend most days in the sun doing physical work. My employer allows a fifteen minute break in the morning, another in the afternoon, and an unpaid hour for lunch. I must keep the truck locked with the windows up while I work. But I am not permitted to crank the work truck and run the air conditioner. Ever. They even installed electronic devices on all the company vehicles to record "idle time." So when break time rolls around, I can either rest in the sun, or rest in the hot truck. (I can have the windows down while I am in the truck.) If I were to fall victim to the heat, no one would know until knock off time.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Wet bandanas. Lots of water. Keep hydrated.

3. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Can you keep a big cooler of ice water that you could soak a towel for your neck and soak your t-shirt for cooling? Plenty of fluids, keep wearing a hat that has good ventilation, nothing dark.

4. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I would put a plastic tarp in the back of the truck, and fill it with water. That way, wherever i am working, if i get hot, i could take a dip in my pool. And tell my boss "record that, big man".........:D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  5. MisterMcCool

They provide a cooler, ice, and water. I can wear a hat but the uniform hats are navy blue and they are hot.

6. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'd swap to a lightweight boonie hat in Navy Blue then and soak it if you can get away with it.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'm thinking that when someone falls victim to heat stroke or exhaustion, their policies might change! if you ever have a heat stroke or a really bad case of heat exhaustion, you will never be able to tolerate the heat well again.

use cool water and not cold water to cool off with and yes remain hydrated at all times. if you're thirsty, then you are already started to dehydrate. drink lots of water, even if you're not thirsty. use some type of hyration fluid, because your body is losing salt and potassium as well. a huge loss in both of these will give your body cramps. working the heat and sweating a lot will tire you quicker as well. my advice is to stop, from time to time and rest for a few minutes. please be careful, because heat stroke can kill you.

8. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Here's how you beat the heat...move to Wisconsin.

9. MisterMcCool

It hardly bothered me when I was younger (and drank less.)

10. MisterMcCool

My dream is to move to some place where the sun doesn't shine. I liked the smokey mountains.

11. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Bingo!!!

A company i used to work for had a guy die from heat stroke. That death cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars and a lucrative federal contract.

12. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I do HVAC in central Florida, and my company has done the same thing with our trucks. I spend the majority of my time on roofs. anywhere from a couple hours to 16 hours in a day. Usually those white reflective roofs or black/brown roofs and holy s does it get hot (some days roof temps up to 140's) First off, I keep a cooler full of Gatorade, water, Mountain Dew, a towel, and ICE. Drink all day long, and use my icy towel when i need it. Secondly, but just as important is my canopy. Drops the temperature TREMENDOUSLY. seriously has probably saved me from stroking out on multiple occasions. You should get one and set it up where you are working out at least close to where you are working so you can take your breaks underneath it. Best of luck to you.

13. MisterMcCool

I work in attics sometimes. You HVAC guys do that a bit. That is hot.

14. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

Luckily (maybe????) I do commercial and industrial. So no attics for me unless its side work :)

15. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I think your company needs to be "Schooled" in the OSHA requirements for heat exposure in the workplace above 100 degrees. They have Regulations/laws to protect workers that apply to everyone.

16. MisterMcCool

I checked. OSHA has recommendations for heat exposure, not requirements.

17. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Here's something out of the OSHA reg.'s that might be of interest to you. Hope you can find a way to stay cool, fella...take care of yourself.

[​IMG]

18. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

You might have me on that one...nonetheless, you need to do what's right for you and your health. I knew a union Boilermaker Steward who told his boss once on a really hot day, "It's hot...you can tell me how to do it, where to do it and when to do it but, you're not gonna tell me how hard I gotta work at it.":rolleyes:

19. MisterMcCool

That's great! :)

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I feel for you brother. I work in the oil/gas field here in Texas,and we are in the heat from sun up to sun down.
    You have to stay hydrated,and replenish your electrolytes often. I keep a big golfing umbrella with me,and when I get really hot,I'll open it up,and take a break under it.
    Try not to drink anything with caffeine,stick with water or Gatorade,and like others have said,keep a towel or a neck wrap in a cooler and use it as you need to.