How do I

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AlwaysAardvarks, Jun 25, 2012.

1. AlwaysAardvarks

AlwaysAardvarks New Member

remove the flash hider from my barrel? Wanna replace the birdcage style with a 3-prong, and I don't want to do any damage.

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but... Unless its pinned or welded, just unscrew it.

3. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

I have never done it before but I hear it requires a nice amount of elbow grease.

4. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

I understand that several type of 'lock tight' type materials are used. Some require heat others water to soften. I think I would first contact the manufacture for better advise.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If it is installed correctly you would place the barrel in a vice using a barrel block that grips the barrel. Use an appropriate sized crescent wrench and remove it along with the crush washer. Install the new flash hider with a new crush washer or peel washer. Tourque to 18 ft/lbs.

6. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

A healthy sized crescent is the tool of choice for me.

7. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I did this last week and attached a BattleComp. A barrel vise was recommended and I have to agree. I broke my vertical front grip tightening the new compensator. The original suppressor was easy to remove. Just a little elbow grease and a 10" adjustable wrench. The new compensator required a specific positioning. Finger tight the compensator stopped with the alignment at the 5 o'clock position (needed firm at 6:00). With the crush washer this required about 370* of turn to tighten and align. At 180* it became a test of wills. With the foregrip braced between my legs the vertical grip snapped at 280*. I vented my frustration for the final 1/4 turn. In the end, the alignment is perfect and the compensator works great.

BUT, next time I will pay the gunsmith at the club $25 to install. It did give me an excuse to get the Magpul AFG, which I like better.

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

A crescent wrench belongs in the trash. Use the appropriate sized wrench. It's not that hard.
    , I just took the birdcage off and replaced it with a Smith Vortex

9. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Never had a problem w/ a crescent. What are some of the things I should be aware of?

10. willfully armed

Lefty loosely, righty tighty. You'll need a new crush washer.

11. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

12. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I remember hearing that for the first time as a child, a great piece of information.

I was curious as to why you recommend not using a crescent wrench.

13. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

A crescent wrench has an inherent weakness in its adjustment. They have been known to just snap under strain. If the adjustment loosens up you can mar the work. Just like using a barrel vise the proper wrench will make the job easier and safer.:)

14. willfully armed

Spoken like a true mechanic. Thank you.

I keep a 12" crescent for plumbing work, and changing hitch balls. Otherwise its craftsman wrenches.

Rounded bolt heads and nuts typically indicate the use of the wrong tooling... pliers, crescents, or metric instead of SAE or flip flopped.

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Much better than just saying its wrong and belongs in the trash.

16. AlwaysAardvarks

AlwaysAardvarks New Member

Thanks for all the responses. Gonna try some heat and an open end wrench, then before I break anything, I'll get a gunsmith to do it for me.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if it does happen to have some threadlocker and using heat to remove it, then use a small handheld propane torch. it won't take much heat if there is any threadlocker, so you won't have to heat the barrel up a lot to remove it.

18. willfully armed

But it does.

That and a damned standard screwdriver. If I could go back in time and kill someone, it'd be the guy who invented the slotted screw.

19. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Wrong , they guy who came up with torx , square ,allen and those stupid triangle ones in the happy meal toys

I mean come on a 4.5 mm allen ? really ?

20. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Or the stupid security torx