How do i remove the wood on my Yugo M70 AK?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by louieboots, Nov 28, 2012.

1. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Might be a dumb question but my Yugo M 70 isn't like normal AK 47 rifles I don't know how to remove the stock and front grip wood.. I want to sand the wood and throw some clear on it..need help thank you!

2. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Here's my Yugo M70 AK

image-2950758046.jpg

3. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I suggest you delay removing the forend to sand and clear coat. I don't see a grenade launching sight on your rifle, which seems to be on all the Yugos made from parts these days. Many didn't have side rails and usually the large wood grips are seen on them. If it's a pre-ban(1989) American Arms( a little over 400 imported), or Mitchell Arms import(400 underfolders imported) like I have, you'll hurt the value. Think twice before touching it.
    Pre-Ban Mitchell underfolder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pre-ban Mitchell folder.

4. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Nice rifle! Then you think I should leave the wood? Also where can I get a rear sling attachment like yours? There's only one in the front..

5. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I don't know why the sling swivel is gone. You'll have to search the internet for Yugo parts. There's plenty out there selling all kinds of parts and you should be able to find one sooner or later. What's the name of the importer on the receiver and is any of the one's I listed on there? If none of the above then your rifle isn't a pre-ban though still nice and you can make any changes you want to it.

6. magnumman

magnumman New Member

If you can find some spare grips, maybe do your handy work on those and keep the originals incase you ever decide to put them back on and sell the thing. I haven't looked but I would bet that there is some guy on you tube who can teach you how they come off.

7. louieboots

louieboots New Member

It's from Century Arms its called the Zastava Yugo M70 Pap rifle..I don't think it's pre ban..

8. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Looked on YouTube no videos on this particular AK variant..

9. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Contact Century Arms for any part you need. As a matter of fact maybe you can speak to someone there who might help you over the phone regarding removing the furniture. At least now you know it isn't pre-ban. Good luck with it.

10. Isis0927

Isis0927 New Member

I wish you'd stop posting those pics of your Yugo on here.. It's getting old, and I reallllly want it!! That this is effing beautiful..

11. nfafan

nfafan Member

The front upper/lower handguards of your Zastava PAP come off like any AK - nothing speial here aside from the length of the HGs.

The fixed butt of the PAP is the PITA if yours is like what I have read of on the net...
    That is; there is a bolt that passes thru the butt into a trunnion inside the tail of the recvr. This is unlike any other stamped-recvr AKM 'cept the Yugos.

Also atypical is the rubber "recoil" butt pad glued to the butt. This makes it difficult to get to the bolt hidden in a recess beneath it without first removing the pad.

Be careful with the re-finish as it may be a beech - which can be a challenge. If I were to bet, it was probably already finished in a thin shellac over the wood.

ETA: They did not install a factory rear sling swivel on the Zastava PAPs. Normal AKM convention is to put it on the stock of fixed butts, while on fixed butt PAPs it is supposed to be mounted low on the left rear of the recvr.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Please accept my apology, I wanted him to compare his to the actual pre-ban and didn't think he ever seen mine. Thanks for the compliment.

13. JRSKYGUY

JRSKYGUY New Member

Plenty of you tube videos, not sure what your problem is but after I had my stocks in hand it was close to impossible to twist 90 degrees to get off the tube. I used vise grips covered with a piece of garden hose to grab the tube while the guard was lightly held in a vise. Also, my son tried a refinish in a different Ak scenario and it gets tacky under heavy fire, maybe consider a natural finish