How Do I Know If My Butt's Sq. Or Rd.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by HKSlinger, Feb 3, 2011.

1. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

First of all, go ahead and get your funny, abusive comments out of the way.......... Okay, I finally found a S&W 28. I'll post pics when it arrives. What I'd like to know is, how do I know if its a sq. or rd. butt. I thought an N frame was an N frame. I plan on putting Hogue's on it, but they offer both.
    Sincerely,
    Confused in Arkansas

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

3. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Hey, thanks. Very helpful. Next time I need something Googled, I'll look ya up.;)

4. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

No worries, I hope its a rounded one for you.

EDIT, Why, I don't know, Just looks different.

5. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Ask your cellmate? :eek:

6. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Oh yeah, she's got a R O U N D one.:D

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

you cant really tell without looking. trying not to sound sarcastic, and I promise that I'm not being sarcastic, but you have to look. if the butt end of the grip is pointy, such as the corner of a square, then you have a square butt. if the butt is rounded off, such as the bird's heads on single action revolvers, then it is rounded (not quite as pronounced as that though, but not far from it). as far as I know there isn't a way to tell by looking at the serial, although I believe that some particular model numbers only come with one or the other. there are sites that sell custom grips, and some of these have side by side pictures of rounds and squares for comparison.

ALL j frames after a certain date, around 1990 I think, are round butt. these are the only particular frame size that I know for sure of though

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  8. skippy45

skippy45 New Member

Round or square

If you fall off a chair your butt is probably more round than square. :D
    Sorry, but somebody had to go down that very short road. ;)
    Ba-Dump-Bump!
    -it's not finicky
    -you can feed it nearly anything
    -it doesn't care much about OAL
    -it's stout, reliable, and durable
    -you don't need to clean it much
    -you can dryfire it all the time

9. dallascj

dallascj New Member

That was hilarious! I was gonna say 'look in the mirror', but yours is much more creative.

On a serious note, some of the grip websites show pictures of each to help illustrate. As was said earlier, you need to remove the grips as sometimes the grips mask the frame's true shape, but a square frame is shaped more like a single-action cowboy gun, and a round butt is somewhat like a banana.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Smith & Wesson K frame- model 10

Round butt m10_nickel.jpg

Square butt model 10.jpg

11. jd45

jd45 New Member

At one time, S@W offered nothing but a square-butt on N-frames, IIRC. They have since, (don't know exactly when) changed their policy to include rounded grip-frames. Doesn't do me any good, as my hands are too small to shoot an N-frame. Now, if they were to offer a round-butt on a K-frame, I could get behind THAT. I'd like to see a 5-shot .44SPL K-frame 4", just don't know if there's enough meat in the cylinder frame to screw the barrel in.