How do I get the flare nuts off the proportional valve ?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

you can't use a nut splitter on fitting. to exert enough force to crack the tubing nut would ruin the fitting it's attached to. they work great on bolts because they are solid. a fitting isn't solid. it's hollow.

dango likes this.
  2. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

My understanding was that the fitting isn't attached to another fitting but rather screws into the proportioning valve itself . I'm betting that the nut splitter would crush the fitting and the line until the hollow space is gone and then ( I hope ) split the fitting enough to drag threads away from the threads of the proportioning valve .
    The lines and fittings are being replaced anyway so destroying those parts shouldn't matter .
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, though ???????

dango likes this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

what do i know? i'll let you help him fix the problem since you are apparently much more qualified than myself on these matters. it's not like i have ever done such repairs before. not like i haven't done this for living for most of my lifetime. like i said, what do i know compared to all the other experts here? ya'll carry on! i'm out of this one.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    dango and 303tom like this.
  4. Rentacop

I don't believe I said anything to provoke such an angry response . My attempts at helping Dango don't prevent you from helping him too BTW .

dango likes this.
  5. Rentacop

Hey ! I just thought of an old trick : In some cases, you can leave the frozen fitting in place , cut the line some distance away with a tubing cutter, slip a fitting onto the old line, flare the old line, and join that to a fitting on a pre-flared line on one you assemble yourself .

Mongo likes this.
  6. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I did do that where I could but some lines where in such bad shape , there was not enough good line left , rotted to the fittings . But thanks . Now I'm no professional mechanic or nothing but I have handled a wrench or two . Having to change all the brakes lines is pushing it to my limited abilities but I'm having at it . So far , so good just so slow going because of the cold weather and the amount of damage to my hands !

7. Rentacop

Sorry to hear that last idea wasn't helpful ...
    As for your hands, you may get some relief from chapped or dry skin if you try what I and another guard did at work : We rubbed in a lot of hand cream ( Jergens in my case ) and put on latex gloves for awhile . The gloves trap the moisture and your hands absorb it better . Maybe you can do this during a nap or something .
    I tried a product years ago that coated your hands and kept automotive grease from sticking to them so washing your hands was quicker and less harsh .
    The brand name was " Invisible Glove " .

dango likes this.
  8. Rentacop

kfox75 and dango like this.
  9. dango

You know this was so hard for me and I can never put into words how much it means to my wife and I . I can not say in words how blessed I am to have the friends I can cry for and a wife that stands by me no matter how hard things get !

I may never have money but I have relationships that no money , no price can be placed upon . Just don't make me cry in the morning , I'll be working on that truck again . The temps will be 11 and I don't want my face to crack from crying like a baby ......I will not quit and the damage to my hands is neurological , never damage from my cervical surgery . Thanks you beyond words !

kfox75 likes this.
  10. dango

You sir are correct , a nut splitter just can't work . Thanks though , I am open for all advice !