How do I get my 7.62x54r spam can open?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cva209x50, Mar 1, 2014.

1. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

I have a 440 rd spam can in my garage that I want to use but I don't have the opener for it.

What can I use to open it?

2. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Send it to me. I'll take care of it.

Molon Labe

3. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

To be honest I have used a flat screwdriver and a hammer and gone gently along the edge to pop holes along the edge in the way of a ghetto can opener. Not responsible for if you smoke a primer in the process, but the rounds are on their side in the case. All my fingers still exist.

Molon Labe

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you have a Dremel tool, you can use it to go around and make a clean cut. If you hold the cutting attachment parallel to the floor, you shouldn't even touch the top layer of rounds.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbxKbI9Ik4o[/ame]

6. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I went around the inside edge very carefully with a hammer and chisel. Or you can just go to Ebay and buy the spam can opener.

7. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

I was looking around online and I found some of the old p-38 can openers. Most of the descriptions said they will work on any can with a rim / lip. I wanted to know if anybody on this forum has tried these with the old spam cans and if they work compared to the Russian can openers.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am guessing a regular hand held can opener won't do it. Right? :confused:

9. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Haha I don't think the P38 will open a spam can. The P38 was made to open tin cans in rations in WWII, and even then it's tricky for me to even get a can of tuna open with it. I've heard of people using Dremels, a hammer and chisel or screwdriver, grinders, and the original spam can opener. the spam can itself is made of heavy steel, and no matter what method you choose, its gonna be a lengthy process. Hope this helped!

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Right!

I have a can opener, and believe me the dremel is easier. A LOT easier!:)
    But the Spam can opener does work well. If you can find one on flea bay grab it.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The lip on the Russian ammo cans is too deep for a food can opener to work. Ammo can openers are out there, and usually not too expensive. I got mine free with a can of ammo.

For folks who want to buy a can or two for long term storage, I highly recommend buying an opener and tethering it to the can, so you have it when you need it.

12. bradam

bradam Member

Back in the day (M.C.) we would use a john wayne on spam cans. I have a feeling we are talking about a different kind of spam.:D

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Did someone mention spam? :D
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE[/ame]

14. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Spam spam spam spam. Spam spam spam spam. I love that skit.

Chisel or standard screwdriver and a hammer. Just keep along the edge and watch your fingers, otherwise you'll slice them off on the lip. But if you're going to get more spam cans, just grab an opener off eBay.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Ever see one of these, it just cuts the bead................

Attached Files:

16. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Should have asked for one of these. They usually give you one when buying whole can.

Attached Files:

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

When all else fails:

[​IMG]

18. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

OK, Uncle Si! :D:D:D;):D