How did you get into guns?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by thesoulution22, Sep 6, 2012.

1. thesoulution22

thesoulution22 New Member

Post how you got into firearms! I got into it because of my dad, and discovering his old guns.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Had to think on it a bit. I couldn't remember at first. Actually funny now that I look back on it. I got hassled by a few different cops about my knife in a period of a week. On the third one I got a bit mouthy about it and said "You guys keep hasseling me about my knife, I don't drive and I'm not walking around this area without being armed. Would you prefer if I had a fu@&ing gun?"
    The officer said "We wouldn't be able to hassle you about that because it would be concealed."
    So I got my license and now I carry atleast 1 gun and 1 knife at all times.
    They don't bother me anymore.

3. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Step Father & Uncle Bob!

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

My dad and uncle when I was twelve. Now I am 67, and though I tried, it all ends with me.

5. kycol

kycol New Member

My dad had me shooting as far back as I can remember. We would go to the city dump and shoot rats. We went to the old strip pits and shoot bottles and cans. We would hunt doves, quail, squirrel, and rabbits. He would take me to the gun shows. After I got married and the three kids came along kind of got away from them, didn't have the money or the time. Still did some hunting and took the kids hunting when I could. My girls just never got into it at all. My son really didn't get into it the way I hoped either. But when he was 10 we moved and I really didn't have a place to hunt like before and he was into karate and kick boxing took up most of our time. Then about.a year or so back he comes to see me all excited about his new 1911. Well that got me started back and I have fell in love with my guns all over again.

6. kycol

kycol New Member

It doesn't have to you can leave them to me.

7. dewey

dewey New Member

As a kid, my family wasnt what you would call gun nuts, but we had a few rifles for shooting ground hogs, and hand guns and shottys for home defense.
    Dad gave me a cheap 22 when I was 10. We bought matching speed sixes when I turned 18.
    I travel alot with wife and 2 small girls, so I got my ccw. about 6 years ago.
    November, about 4 years ago I pretty much just went insane. Cant figure out why.
    Seriously, I came to see what beautiful machines firearms are. I have always been attracted to well engineered tools.

8. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I was born into firearms/hunting,instead of a baby rattle they gave me a daisy bb gun :)

9. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I used to shoot with my Dad and Uncles at a friend's farm. Good memories....

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I always built guns with my Legos as a kid. At 15 I was sent to school in Israel and I was exposed to a lot of different pistols by all the teachers there etc.; everyone carried a handgun. On Fridays we would go on hikes and shoot cans out in the mountains outside Jerusalem.

Then i was offered the opportunity to enter into the IDF's Gadna program, which is basically a slightly watered down version of boot camp. I was the youngest one there. As far as firearms went we trained on Galils, m1s and m16s, it was a real blast. I remember I volunteered for the duty of stripping and cleaning all of our group's rifles. And that earned me some extra range time with a few of the soldiers on the base and I was absolutely hooked from then on.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  11. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I started when my Grandfather passed and I inherited his Remington 721 30-06 rifle! I love that rifle. My second start and biggest collecting is with my best friend and wife ZG!!!!:D

12. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I was born in to guns ever since I can remember I've been shooting can't remember the first time I fired any of my fathers guns though he says I did

13. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Found my dad cleaning his o/u when i was 6 or 7. Got my first .22 the next day followed by a .410 for my bday.

14. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

When I started dating my wife. My FIL got me into hunting. I went many years with just 6 guns. Then one day a couple years ago I finally realized my wife can't tell one gun from another. The rest is a few dozen guns worth of history.

Oddly enough, it is the same with chainsaws. As long as they are all orange and white, don't get seen all in the same room at the same time she can't seem to keep track. Or maybe she just doesn't want to.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

country boy, born and bred. Got my first gun the day I was born (literally)- H&R .410. In the country, EVERYONE had a gun- just like having an axe or a bucket- they were tools of everyday life. A lot of our diet involved firearms- game, butchering livestock. It was an acceptable pastime for an 11 yr old to be hunting or shooting wih his friends.

When I entered the military i was already a fair shot. Got better. Spent some time as an LEO and got better with handguns. Shot some in competition, more with our kids, later our grandkids.

16. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I see by your previous post that you are lucky enough!!!!!

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I was an army brat and we of course always played 'war' as children.
    My first gun was the day I turned 18 my buddy who was 17 and had mommy and daddy money gave me the cash to buy a Remington 597 (.22), so we could go shoot it. I still have that gun.
    I bought an ak at 25 because the assault weapons ban ended and Hurricane Katrina had happened next door to my state.

The rest is history, I became a full blown gun nut. If I weren't in school right now, I'd be spending as much time as possible learning everything I can about these guns.

18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Im with C3, Boonie Born and Raised. Hunting, Fishing and trapping were primer courses in preschool (no we really didn't have preschool but we did all have guns). Nobody I grew up with anti gun, everyone had at least one or two. Had my first daisy by 6 and my Ithaca .22 single by 10 years old. Favorite Bday gifts were always guns, ammo and gear. Even at school, most of the PU Trucks had a shotgun and or rifle in the back window, most were loaded. Some that had little early regulatory urges would encourage us to keep the bullets in the glove compartment and maybe we shouldnt bring our guns and knives to school.

My Dad died when I was 6 but neighbors and friends filled in in his absence. By 12, I didnt need Moms permission to go plinking, just leave a note on the table and be home for dinner. Nobody would have given me and my pre-teen friends a second look if they saw one of us riding down the road on our bike with a gun slung over our shoulder.

Sadly, today, our little community would have been looked at like the wild west (or East)!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  19. levelcross

levelcross New Member

My dad and older brother were just starting to hunt when I came into the picture, so while growing up if I was good all week dad would buy me a 25 round box of .22's and we would shoot cans in the woods. He started teaching me about rifles at the ripe old age of 5.

20. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Family of hunters including cousins, uncles and so on. I was never given a new gun, I got the hand me downs from the older brothers but it was fine by me. I remember when I was really young we would get into trouble for shooting birds with our BB guns. Well not the shooting birds part but because we were shooting them at our neighbors bird feeder.

A lot I would have to say was TV as well. The popular shows at the time were Combat!, Gunsmoke, Bonanza etc.