How could I mess up like that ?!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by gearhead396, Jan 31, 2015.

1. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

OK guys so I have to vent, it's been a while since I've shot my concealed carry, my ruger sr40c (about 6 months). So I went to my buddys to get some much needed practice and the first to rounds I shot I locked My finger back hard enough to keep the trigger from resetting? How could I do something like that? Whst if i had been in a self defense sitiuation. I have been shooting for years, I just don't see how I could have forgot one of the most basic actions of shooting a fire arm ( release your finger from trigger when firing.) Just had to vent that I guess in hopes of you guys telling me not to worry about it lol.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Also could I have damaged anything ?

3. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

No damage should have been done, you just need to shoot more:D

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It is unlikely you have damaged anything. "Short cycling" the DAO trigger is a trivial error, when the muscle memory is trained on other guns or is lost between practice sessions. It is easily fixed with regular practice.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

dont beat your self up.. follow through is an important part to shooting. you just have to know how and when to use it. im sure you were just just a little excited to be shooting for the first time in a bit. and had you been shooting for accuracy you were doing the right steps. in the future before you start to shoot.take a quick second to remind yourself what your goals are for this shooting time.. speed? accuracy?drills? fun?.. that will help you to remember what steps need to happen. :)

6. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Ya I definitely learned my lesson, I'm going to be shooting it at least once a month now. I gotta say I'm pretty suprised at the way your muscles can truly "forget".

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  7. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Ya I definitely think excitement was a factor for sure.

8. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

By the way I know this is kind of a useless thread but thanks for responding I can go to sleep feel in better :)

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Good news is you got one shot off, if you hit them, you didnt need that pesky second shot anyways! His buddies are running away from the splatter, get a beer and chill out!

Army called them Perishable skills for a reason! If you dont do it, you forget, even your motor skills diminish and you dont do it as well as you did even months prior. In the Army. they also taught this little thing called "Immediate Action" taken after a malfunction of any kind (Human or Mecanical). Were good but not always perfect so quick actions taken after a misfire or FTF are part of Marksmanship not an afterthought. Each weapon has its own IA drill, The Military has done the homework on our perfectly equal weapons for us but various civilian weapons may need you to come up with an IA particular to your weapon.

Its situational, one you can fix by shooting more and IA response repetition. Get a few dummy rounds and play in your barcalounger, no heed to leave home for that. Put one randomly in the mix on the range and see how you react when you hit it, no need to beat yourself up, if its never happened to a shooter its because they dont really shoot!

10. SB777

SB777 New Member

I never thought of this as a possible issue. Guess I'll have to take out some DAO's and practice, practice, practice.......:D

11. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Yep I'm right there with you. I'm on the way to get some ammo right now. And I also I had never even thought of that as in issue, first time I have ever done that, but also the first time I've gone that long with no practice. all in all I think it was a good thing, definitely taught me the importance of regular practice if nothing else,

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

It can happen with dao semis and any da revolver.