How come???

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tomgodd, Aug 31, 2009.

1. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

How come nobody ever made a jacketed 22lr?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

.22 LR uses an outside lubricated bullet. The bullet diameter is the same as the case diameter. There is a heel of the bullet that is considerably under bore size that sits inside the case. Most .22LR bullets are soft swaged lead that is relatively easy to make. Sometimes these bullets are copper washed, mostly they are coated with a lubricant. To make a jacketed bullet that will fit inside the case, expand at the base upon firing to make a good gas seal and bite the rifling at these relatively low pressures and velocities would be a daunting task. Could it be done? Probably. It would be prohibitively expensive and would ruin the inexpensive appeal of the rimfire ammo.

In short, it would cost more than people are willing to pay for .22LR ammo.

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I have been a cartridge collector for 45 years now and one of my passions is 22 rimfire ammo. I am unaware of any commercial round ever loaded for the 22 lr with jacketed bullet. However Remington did produce for the US military during WWII, a full metal jacket round. This made it legal for war purposes while complying with the rules of the Hauge Convention. These rounds are getting harder and rarer as time goes by, if any are found dont shoot them as they are so scarce. These rounds were known as T-42 and M-24.

4. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Cool!! Just a ?? I never seen one and I know the 22mags are Brass jacketed