How come search doesn't work well?

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by CHLChris, Jul 1, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm having a few issues.

1) Whenever I do a google search on anything, FTF never comes up with the answers. All the other forums but FTF.

2) The search feature on the tool bar doesn't seem to work very well, either. So often on even the simplest of searches come back with nothing.

What is missing from FTF? Thanks!

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Some times it is the searcher not the search engine.

I am not saying your searches are bad just that I have had no problems it can be hard because many of the same terms are used in a lot of thread titles. It helps here to be as specific as you can.

3. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Short circut!!

Bingo, Seek and you shall Find.:eek::D:)

4. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

You might try using Google this way:

Add "site:firearmstalk.com" after your search terms. This tells Google to only check that web address.

Google doesn't restrict character count like the forum search does, so you can search for phrases/short words or model numbers easily.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Now HERE is the ticket! I can just use Google to do the searches. The "site:firearmstalk.com" addition works great! I was beginning to think that the admins had put some sort of Google block on FTF for discretion reasons. Who knows? That might still be the case. I have NEVER had a simple Google search bring back FTF as a hit.

6. romad

romad New Member

I have to agree that the in-forum search feature doesn't work very well. I've used a lot of forums over the last 20 years, so I feel that I DO know how to word a search.

I searched using a keyword from a known thread title and I still got "nothing found". It makes one wonder if there is a problem in the server setup.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't know, if you search more than just a minimum of characters, it seems to work for me.

Attached Files:

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

If you go to Advanced Search, and enter you desired topic then select Titles Only; it seems to work pretty well. Otherwise it will pull up every post with the word or words you're searching on.

9. romad

romad New Member

True; IIRC the minimum is usually 3. If you use less than the minimum, you normally get a message that the search string was too short. For example I did a search of the semiauto handgun forum for hk and this was the result:
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : hk

Next I tried h&k with the same result.

Repeating both strings above but inside quotes returns a different response:
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

I repeated the above using ko, koc, and koch. I got the same responses as above for the 2 & 3 character string but the four character string returned positive results.

So it looks like 4 characters are the minimum for this forum's software. But it will not accept punctuation (or at least leading punctuation) so you can't search for .357, .410, etc. For those you get the basic "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. "

I didn't try the advanced search page, just the quick one, so perhaps that would be the way to go in the future.

BTW, what software is this forum running on?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

11. romad

romad New Member

Did you note that none of your strings had less than 4 characters or began with a period?

As I said, my testing showed that the minimum number of characters in a search string is apparently 4, and that a period is not considered a character. I too was successful when I searched for heck, koch, but not when using hec or koc.

I've used other VBulletin forums (also Jive ones) so the features are familiar; I'll have to go to one of them and test out the quick search there. Perhaps the setup for minimum search strings have variable settings.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I suppose my main issue with the search feature is exactly what you just said:

I'd like to be able to come up with focused answers to my query. I think a great idea that another poster gave is adjusting the search to look for "Titles Only."

Thanks for all the thoughts.

I still wish Google searches brought more traffic here instead of other forums. I get more hits for Pennsylvania Firearms Forum 10x more than FTF, and we certainly have more content than they do.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The search works fine. What are you complaining about romad?

14. romad

romad New Member

Perhaps you might try reading what I posted instead of being so rude.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

[quote = romad]I have to agree that the in-forum search feature doesn't work very well.[/quote]

How does the search NOT work?

Every search I have ever done has worked just fine. Most people in this thread are saying the search works fine. Yet you still piss and moan about the search.

So you can't search for 3 letters. DON'T Search for just three letters. HOW HARD IS THAT.

The search function works great. Like I have said before I have never failed to find what I was looking for using the search function on this site.

Did you ever stop to think it may be the monkey behind the keyboard that is not working the search function correctly?

Seriously you want the search function to search for a . that would being up 95% of the board 5% of the post don't have . in them. How many posts on this board contain at least 1 . ? That is one of the dumbest things I have seen on here.