How close to the barrel does the scope really need to be?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lonyaeger, Jan 19, 2011.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I've been hearing this for years.....that accuracy will improve the closer the scope is to the barrel. How much of that is real and how much of it is "cool factor?"

Which is more important then....closeness of scope to barrel or actually achieving the proper, comfortable cheekweld?

I would choose the comfort option. It seems to me that your elevation adjustment will put you where you need to be regardless of how close the scope is to the barrel. Since I put extra-high rings on my 10/22, the scope is about 3/8 of an inch off the barrel....and I shoot MUCH better. Straining to get my cheek down hard enough on the stock to have the proper line of sight was causing me to tense up. Now I'm much more relaxed.

Am I missing something here?

2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

One thing that you have to remember with the scope being mounted high like that is if you have the rifle canted one way or the other, it will affect your point of impact. This reminds me, I am going to Midway right now and ordering a bubble level to put on my AR.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Most of mine are mounted real close. I like to squish my chubby *** cheek on to the gun so I can get a good solid feel between my cheek bone and my stock.

That is me.

Accuracy is going to be better but I have no clue better. I read it some where.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I'm the same as you, Lon
    But I like my scopes as close to the bore as possible(on most rifles) because thats where I get the most comfortable cheek weld.

More comfortable, more consistent, more repeatable=more Accurate IMO

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I'm no expert or anything, but I think that if the rifle is uncomfortable to shoot, you are not going to shoot well with it. I would think that the scope should be positioned in such a way that you get an accurate picture and it is comfortable for you to shoot it.

6. Squirrel_Slayer

Unfortunately I have to mount mine pretty high, the objective diameter on my scope is 60mm, but fortunately I can raise the cheek piece up and down to get the cheek weld that I am comfortable with.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I have cheek pieces on a couple of my rifles, too, but they're not gonna help you if the scope is too CLOSE to the barrel.

I own thirteen rifles and I'm moving the scopes up higher on each of them one-by-one.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

EXACTLY my point, Linda!

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

All right, who is the avatar? I wasn't going to give you the satisfaction of asking, but the hell with that.

10. Squirrel_Slayer

Ha ha, Vida Guerra. Google image search, just make sure the boss aint looking over your shoulder. Or the wife for that matter! She has a rather Kim Kardashianesque back yard. :)

11. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

in myho

Do not understand the delema once you zero the scope to the rifle.It works

12. Squirrel_Slayer

On average, for every five degrees or so, you move the point of impact .5" at 100 yards. The hight the scope is above the rifle, it gets worse.

13. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Just be sure to watch how low it gets. I just wasted my money on some Weaver Tactical Mounts because I bought them with the idea that I would get the scope as low as the scope objective would allow. I got the objective about 1/8" from the top of my quad. I then got to the range and realized that I was blacking out when I zoomed in because I couldn't get my eye low enough. I may get lucky and have a work around with 1/2'' riser blocks. :(

14. AusLach

AusLach New Member

You have to remember that the sight-line of the scope and the bore-line of the rifle are essentially on two different planes. The closer the scope is to the bore, the closer these two planes are to parallel.

Of coarse you could make the scope and the barrel completely parallel to each other at any distance apart, although this would mean that the zero of the rifle is always going to be (scope height + bullet drop) BELOW point of aim. Mounting the scope as close to the boreline as possible means the rifle will be more accurate (with regard to point of aim vs point of impact), for a greater period of time.

Really this is only of concern to hunters and other non-benchrest shooters, as laser rangefinders make it relatively easy to intersect the bullet's arc of travel with the point of aim. Most hunters however use the theory of MPBR, and a scope closer to the bore will give a longer Maximum Point Blank Range.

As has been said, if you're not comfortable with the rifle, you won't shoot it well regardless of scope height.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  15. JonM

JonM Moderator

less than 300-400 yards it really doesnt matter much. once you start reaching out a bit further left/right cant and a high scope mount starts making it much more difficult to estimate poi vs sight picture.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Is that your opinion, or is it a fact?

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

It is fact. I'm looking for an article I've read on the subject. I don't shoot in low light situations so I buy scopes wiyh as small objective lens as practical. The only thing counter to this is closer to the barrel can create more mirage effect as the barrel heats up.

18. Squirrel_Slayer

It's fact. That's why there are so many companies making these "anti-cant devices" that mount to your optic. Simply a bubble level that sits on top of your scope. When you arre trying to pick off squirrels at 200+ yards, if you tilt that rifle a few degrees left or right, it may make the difference between a hit and a miss if the little grass guzzler is standing.

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Right....!

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I wasn't "trying"

to challenge you, SS, just needed clarification.