How can I tell year of Colt CC.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Byrdguy, May 16, 2010.

1. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

I recently acquired a very nice blue/wood stock Colt combat Commander. The serial # is 70BS16xxx. Does this mean series 70?? Any Idea of the year of manufacture?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Made in 1974

3. nightal

nightal New Member

A friend of mine has offered to sell me his colt combat commander, #70-BS 98xx- he got it from a friend of his and carried it on PD for years, he no longer shoots. the friend he got it from bought it new from Colt, but it is not the same as other colt cc I have seen, it has adj. sights, and a spur hammer. he said it was that way when he got it? can you tell me any thing about it? I don't have a picture ; only one mag. no box or papers. did colt offer options like that from the factory? approx. value? it;s not beat up, just holster wear,I would say it's 80-85 percent. can you tell me the year it was made?

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

HA, that's funny you Xed out the last three numbers, but posted a picture with the full number.:eek::)

5. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I've never figured out why people x-out serial numbers--what am I missing?

6. BillM

Made in 1972

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  7. nightal

nightal New Member

Thanks Bill, how about value, he thinks $800. I am thinking $500.to $550.It's not pristine. I have no idea what something like that is worth on the market.

8. BillM

I was off a year---it's a 1972 gun. Misread the reference book.

Bluebook says $850 for 95%, $500 for 60%.

Check and see what they are SELLING for on Gunbroker. Not the ASKING price, but actual sales. That will give you some idea of the market.

9. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

I was hoping nobody would notice, after I saw the post!!!
    It brought a good more than book on GunBroker.