How Can I Polish My Full Sized 223 Resizer???

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Brother_COM, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Brother_COM

Brother_COM New Member

Howdy all. I have a LEE 223 Full Sized Die set and about 2 out of 100 rounds will get stuck IN THE DIE when I re-size the shell. I notice that when I have the die apart (manually removing the stuck shell, that the part to re-size the throat is quite rough.) I read somewhere that I can polish the part that re-sizes the throat of my shell to avoid this.

What can I use to "polish" it, and do I use an abrasive compound?

Lemmeknow,
    Glen
    Brother_COM

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I would advise against doing it. If you can not be stopped, use very mild abrasive compound ( like Flitz, JB Bore Compound, Simichrome polish). Use a case that you have just resized with the bad die. Apply a SMALL amount of the compound to the suspected bad point on the brass case. Twirl away.

3. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

Get a bore mop chuck in a drill and use Flitz

4. cottontop

cottontop Guest

If you have cases getting stuck, then you obviously are not using enough lubricant. At the same time, do not use too much as you will deform the cases. If you keep having trouble, get rid of the Lee dies and get a set of RCBS.
    cottontop

5. Shade

Shade New Member

Call Lee, they do alot of things very reasonable or might even replace it.

6. 1hole

1hole New Member

It's VERY unlikely a Full Length resizer of any brand needs any polishing. Cases get stuck in sizers for ONE reason; insufficent case lube.

Most often the problem is insufficent lube down near the case head, that's where they get stuck. NO neck expander has ever locked a case in a die; the expander doesn't touch anything on a bottle neck case until it's been released from the die walls and then it only contacts the inside of the neck. (Lubing inside the neck can reduce the friction of withdrawing the expander but no amount of lube inside a neck can possibly affect sticking cases.) Lee's long cylindrical expander does a better job of leaving case necks straight than other dies with a short ball type expander.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Brother_COM,What type of case lube are you using? If you are using a spray lube,that's your problem.
    Get some Hornady cream lube or Imperial sizing wax,and your stuck cases will be a thing of the past.With either of these two lubes,you can skip lubing 2-3 cases,and never stick a case in your dies.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

If this only happens once every hundered or so check your brass. It sounds more like fired case buldge. Be very careful about polishing the ID of the die.:)

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i too would recommend against doing anything to the die, unless you have determined it truly is the die and not lack of resizing lube. if it is the die, then send it back to Lee and they will make it right. yes check to see that you don't have a bulged case. i recommend the Hornady lube as that's all i ever use anymore. works great for resizing and necking down or up.

10. 1hole

1hole New Member

If a case is properly lubed it won't matter a bit if it's 'bulged.' I make .22-250 from .30-06 and that starts with a LOT of case bulge!

11. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Get an old worn out .22 cal cleaning brush. Spray a little bit of whatever lube you're using onto it. If you are using lube on a pad, then roll the brush around on the pad. Run the brush into the neck before resizing on 1 case out of every 10-20 rounds. That will stop the stuck cases. I also use lee .223 dies. They will get sticky even if the cases are properly lubed on the outside but the inside of the necks are dry. It doesn't take much to keep them running smooth. Give it a try before attempting to polish the die. If the die is really that rough and is still causing a problem after trying this, then call lee. They have a great warranty and will probably send you a new one at no charge anyway. But if you attempt to polish it, they might not be so thrilled to replace it.

12. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Yeah, sounds more like insufficient lube and failure to lube a few of the necks more than anything else. Be careful polishing the die. You don't want to change the dimensions.

13. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The neck area is not enough to hold the case. It is unlikely polishing will change anything. If the die body is rough you will note deep scratches in every case you size.

14. 1hole

1hole New Member

"Run the brush into the neck before resizing on 1 case out of every 10-20 rounds. That will stop the stuck cases."

No case has ever been stuck in a die due to failure to lube inside a neck, cases are fully free from die contact well before the expander touches the necks.