How Can I Legally Carry A Handgun In My OTR Truck?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by ryevick, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick Member

I drive most all of the lower 48... I rarely travel north of New York. I want to know what steps I need to take to legality carry a handgun in my truck. If I got a license for it in my home state (Ga), is that going to be valid in other states? Please help... thanks.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is a tough question. Laws vary from state to state. Some states honor my Colorado Permit. Some don't. Some allow you to carry in your car with out a permit. Some strickly forbid it. You realy need to check the regulations for each state where you will be traveling.

3. ryevick

ryevick Member

Is there a difference between a permit and a conceal carry permit or are all permits concealed carry permits? And which would I need?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

There are different types of permits depending on where you live. I have a concealed carry permit. That is all that Colorado requires. This is a very gun friendly state. Some states require a permit to purchase a gun. Some cities even have tighter restrictions.

Chicago just enacted a law that says you can not leave your home with a gun period. They have outlawed gun dealerships and shooting ranges within the city limits. The NRA has filed suite against the city. Part of the ban has already been struck down. But it is still a fight.

Seriously, do your research before carrying in your truck. Some states love us. Others hate us. California is full of haters.

5. ryevick

ryevick Member

Yep, I'm sitting in LA right now. Can you have more than one state permit?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yes, Utah and Florida are two of the more popular non-resident permits.

8. ryevick

ryevick Member

How long are permits good for usually?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My Florida permit is good for 7 years.

10. ryevick

ryevick Member

I will check out those resources you posted for sure but could you tell me how much permits usually cost and how much time is envolved in applying for them? Thanks!

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Florida cost ~$200 total; CCL class, state fees, passport photo........

Takes about 90 days for processing.

12. bkt

bkt New Member

Exactly right. And reciprocity with a permit from one or both of these states will go a long way to covering the lower 48.

New York has no reciprocity with any other state. Getting caught with a handgun in your possession in New York without a permit will land you in far more trouble than you want. Either don't bring the gun or stay out of New York. I recommend the latter.

13. ArmedInAtlanta

ArmedInAtlanta New Member

GA Reciprocity

Ryevick:

Be advised that GA concealed permits are good in various states with which GA has a reciprocal agreement in this regard. The list of states, and other useful information, can be found HERE.

The states with which GA has a reciprocal agreement are: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Additionally, as to your question about the cost/ time associated with getting a license, be advised that this is a county-by-county process. In my county (Fulton), you are required to pay $30 (cash or check) to the Fulton County Probate Court, and $45 (money order). The wait time varies, and I'm not sure there is an official position on what it is.

I hope this information helps you out, and if you need a Taurus 738TCP for your glove box, let me know. I've got one with two rounds down the pipe and I hate the way it sits in my hand. In short, I'll be very reasonable on a trade ;)

Best regards,

AiA

14. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

+1. Here in Savannah, the fees total $75. Also be aware that the law that pertains to you will also have something to do with your destination. If you are driving THRU a non-reciprocal state, you may be required to have it stored somewhere other than the cab separated from its ammo. But if you are driving TO a non-reciprocal state, you may be prohibited from having it period.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

First the disclaimer-I'm not a lawyer, seek legal

counsel before considering breaking any laws.

Not what to do, but what I did.

Moved to Florida. Established residence. Got an in-state CCW(CWP).

Florida has a high rate of state reciprocity, @ 36 states, IIRC.

IF you

want to CCW OTR, know all the laws of the states you pass through.

Two lock-boxes, one for ammo, one for the gun, is the federal

mandate. But you may be taking your chances with states which

treat your constitutional rights with the respect you might see from

a com-bloc country, such as CA, NJ, or NY.

If you decide to carry anyway in places like NJ or NY, you are gambling on

facing a judge, be he tough or lenient.

Vote with your wallet. This is especially important for individuals like

YOU, OP, who can pick and choose to buy fuel and food and

lodging in reciprocity states. Join the NRA. (Yes, now.)

Google handgunlawus.

16. ryevick

ryevick Member

Can I get the Fla and Utah permits online or do I have to apply in person?

17. ryevick

ryevick Member

I recieved this reply from a truck driver in a different forum. Can anyone confirm or comment on this? Thanks

Are you saying "...what steps you need to take to 'legally' carry?" If so, well, there are no such steps. At least that is what I have been told by numerous DOT officers, Virginia state troopers, and my buddy that is a Commonwealth Attorny of VA. I hold a concealed weapons permit in VA. It is good in VA, WVA, and TN. The reason you can't carry "legally" in a truck is because trucking is a federally regulated industry. Your permit is issued by the state. The federal government does not issue concealed weapons permits. They allow for a Class III weapon license, which I also hold (as a collector) but that is a completely different subject. In short, if you are carrying a firearm in your truck, you are committing a federal offense! Period!

18. orangello

orangello New Member

:eek: scary!
    Maybe you should look into a black powder revolver in .44 and one of those "howdah hunter" shorty double-barreled BP shotguns. I would NOT want to get shot with my Pietta Remington replica in .44. The Pietta Remingtons run about $200, no FFL required and they aren't considered "firearms" by the ATF. There are a couple of states that would probably have issues even with that, though (NY & ?).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...nknown;cat104792580;cat104701680;cat104503680
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Davi...s&Ntt=howdah&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

In Florida, as I understand it, you don't have to have anything, except for no criminal history, to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. No three step rule or any such nonsense. The firearm must be in a closed container; snapped holster, glove box, etc. You could even have it in a shoe box, beside you as long as it had a cover.

Of course you do need a permit if it is on your person.

But don't take my word for it. All of the states have the statutes online. Read them; if there is any doubt, contact an attorney that tries gun cases in your state.

In Florida we have an excellent reference to firearms laws, written in plain language, with examples, and written by an attorney that tries firearm cases for a living. It updated every 6 months. It is the best way to understand Fl. laws. Some of the stories will scare the hell out of you. A heck of a good investment for Floridians.

(nope, I aint associated with him)

20. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

This, in my understanding, is spot on. Coming from a family filled with OTR truck drivers, it has always been a concern for them, or at least those into firearms and CC.

Its a shame really and there should be something done about it but I don't see federal CWP's being handed out anywhere in the near future, although some sort of exemption would work just as well I suppose...