How can I get a better shooting eye?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 67gto, Apr 13, 2012.

1. 67gto

67gto New Member

I recently bought a S&W 9mm M&P. I have fired about 300 rounds through it, but my location is usually 2" to the left and 2-3" lower. Does anyone have any tips for me. This is the first handgun I have ever owned. Thanks!!

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Continue to practice. Take your time on your shots. Focus on your gun handling and trigger manipulation. You may want to do dry fire exercises. If after another 100 rounds or so you're still hitting in same spot adjust sights.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Thanks for posting that. Next time I'm at the range I'm going to have to put that to use.

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Your welcome. Happy shooting.

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

If your shots are always 2” down & to the left, it’s not your eye. If it was your eye, they’d be all over the place. It sounds like your grip is tightening up just before you fire in anticipation of the recoil.

But what do I know. I’m still trying to get all my shots on the index card. I just picked up a .22lr to help me tighten up my group. Something you might want to consider.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I have that problem with my XDM9. Three things have helped, dri firing (with snap cap) with a bore laser (helps to see the laser move when you pull the trigger), airsoft pistol, yes, it really helps :), and finally putting the grip deeper into my hand. I only found a benefit it doing that with the XDM, none of my other firearms.

8. Kdub

Kdub New Member

You have too much finger on the trigger. Use only the tip of your pad. Squeeze gently. Too much trigger finger you start pushing the gun which makes you shoot left.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

10. 67gto

67gto New Member

shooting eye

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

11. 67gto

67gto New Member

shooting eye

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I'll keep practicing.:)