How can I damage my handgun?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by DoctorSig, Feb 26, 2010.

1. DoctorSig

DoctorSig New Member

I've just purchased my first handgun Sig P229. This gun is also my first exposure to firearms. So please forgive the ignorance.

Is there anything I may do that will damage my firearm (e.g. dry firing, placing solvent within the mechanism of the gun, over/under lub, etc.)?

Thanks

2. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

DoctorSig :
    Dry firing is considered safe for your gun but many shooters use snap caps to insure there can be no damage.

You could damage your gun if you fire it with any obstruction in the bore, such as gun grease. A light film of oil won't hurt it but it is best to run a dry patch through it before firing.

Most gun damage is from rust. Do not store your gun in a gun case for long periods. A wooden foot-locker is better. If you keep it in a safe, consider a heated rod dehumidifier. For long term storage, I would lube it generously inside and out with BreakFree or another product that is good against rust. In salty climates, you can use a hot locker equipped with a light bulb for dehumidifying the air.

If you carry the gun, wipe it frequently with a rag with a drop or so of oil on the rag and carry with a light film of oil in the bore.
    You can use a silicone cloth to wipe off fingerprints without any oily mess.

To degrease an oily gun, use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber or equivalent aerosol spray.

Avoid damaging the barrel crown when cleaning the bore and never take a chance of dropping the gun on pavement.

Keep oil out of the magazine and off of your ammo.

3. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

When you think you have just the right amount of oil, remove half of it.

4. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

+1 too much oil is worse than too little

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

please tell me you are pulling our chain.

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

And that's #3. Son, do you have a specific purpose here?

Jack

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yeah. Enough already... :mad:

8. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Plus, it tastes terrible and screws up your glasses!

9. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Always physically look into the chamber. To many times people drop the magazine and rack the slide back and assume it is empty. Sometimes a live round will be stuck in the chamber. It happens unfortunitly.

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I want to share a few examples of seasoned veterans making simple mistakes with handguns due to complacency. Think it fits well here and may help. While in the service i had the pleasure of meeting my friends father who served in Operation Desert Storm. He was a seasoned veteran in the Army rangers, this however did not keep him from a complacent mistake, always check the chamber. He was cleaning his .45 which was loaded with Black Talon loads when the gun fired taking his ring finger knuckle completly out of his hand. Hindsight says in his words, "I should have checked the chamber".

Second example was that of an egotistical sheriffs deputy. While on the range making an ass of himself, down talking others and such, he mistakenly loaded 9mm rounds into his .40. Little mistake cost him major points, brought him down a notch or two and gave all the other folks at the range a good chuckle.

What I'm trying to convey here is pay attention, take your time, and always check the chamber, the life and body part you save may be your own!!

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Did someone really ask that?:rolleyes:

Back on topic...You have some really good advice given. There's really not anything to add. The best safety we have is between our ears. It might sound silly to hear "check and check again" But people get hurt or worse with "unloaded" weapons all the time. As to dry firing. Snap caps are just too cheap. It's a small price to pay to know you wont do anything to the weapon. The manual on yours says it's OK if I remember but I just don't feel comfortable doing it.

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Yes someone did actually ask this and pissed off more than just myself.
    As for dry firing, I own the Springfield XD40 and to field strip this model you have to dry fire it to get the slide off. I check and double check this thing b4 pulling that trigger....

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Anybody ever hear the riddle- Why does it take 500,000 sperm to fertilize one egg?

Being male, they will not stop to ask for directions. :rolleyes:

Speaking of directions- almost EVERY new firearm comes with a set of directions. They are called a User's Manual. Yeah, I know- but sit down and read the thing anyway. Following the directions is even more productive (why didn't anyone tell me I should not load a round directly into the chamber?? BECAUSE THE BOOK SAID THAT!)

Seriously, post is not meant to be snide- but the basic care and operation is pretty well covered- things to keep from hurting your gun- or hurting yourself. Over time I have seen such things as running a blued revolver thru a dishwasher, using K-Y jelly (water based lube) on a firearm, trying to shoot 30-30 out of a 30-06, and loading a .50 cal muzzleloader with Bullseye pistol powder. Don't think ANY of those was in the owner's manual.

The main enemies of firearms are moisture, rust, liberals, and home gunsmiths. :)

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the good laugh. That was good and true. I learned in the military to always read the manual. Think i read the one i have for my xd40 twice and even got info from youtube for cleaning and maintenance. There are an abundance of info sources out there just gotta use them. Did i mention i love this site?

15. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

When required to pull the trigger to field strip a pistol, point the gun at a box of phone books, a sand bucket or other safe bullet catcher. That way, you can afford to make a mistake in checking the chamber.
    It is best to handle a gun as you would a loaded gun ; That way, making sure it is not loaded is not so crucial.

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I always treat my weapon as if it were loaded because in fact when i carry it is locked and loaded. I feel it does no good to go out without one in the chamber, its only cool on TV to have to jack a round in the chamber if the weapon is drawn....good advice though on the phone books and sand bucket...

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Terrible advice IMHO. You can NEVER, EVER afford to make a mistake in checking the chamber. All guns must be treated as loaded at all times...

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Making sure it is not loaded when cleaning is always crutial.

19. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Rentacop, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you would return here to the forum and be more responsiable, cautious, realistic and factual in your posted opinions.

I was mistaken. :(

[​IMG]

Jack

20. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

I apologize. Poor choice of words. I did not mean you should not check the gun properly. I meant that depending on that check is unwise. With the sand bucket, you are not handling the " unloaded " gun any differently than you would a "loaded" gun that you intended to fire into the sand bucket.

I agree with you guys and hope no one accidentally fires one into the bucket, as that would be proof of a safety lapse at minimum.

Sorry for the wrong impression.

" Anyone who makes an issue of whether a gun is loaded or not is playing the fool ".
    -John Dean Cooper-

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010