How big a knife can you legally carry?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by GlockRenegade, Jun 9, 2012.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

In Texas we can carry knives with blades no bigger than 5.5 inches. Does not have to be concealed. Curious as to other states laws

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In Virginia, you can carry a sword if that floats your boat. Non-folding knives of ANY length may not be carried concealed. A folding knife with a cutting edge of 3.25 inches or less is considered an item of gentleman's apparel or a tool, and may be concealed. Longer than that- open carry (belt case, etc)

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Michigan firearm laws are screwy... they are a mere shadow of the screwiness surrounding knifes + each city is allowed to set their own rules to boot.

4. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Ive read that there is no illegal lenght as long as you are carrying the knife in a legal manner. I always carry a four inch uncle henry and i have never had a problem. Didnt know its up to the city to set rules on knives. Learn something new everyday.

5. gatorwest

gatorwest New Member

Here in S.C. It has to be under 2"

6. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

In Tennessee, the blade length can be up to 4 inches.

7. spack762

spack762 New Member

Here in Utah any lenth is legal. I care my 7" bowie 90% of places I go.

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I don't think there is one here people carry full sized bowies, me personally I don't carry something that big unless I'm out camping but I do carry my 5 1/2" skinning knife around with me for just every day purposes, I mean I can see why some places might have blade size limits I mean they don't want everyone carrying fighting knives around with them.

9. The_I_am_Frustrated

The_I_am_Frustrated New Member

The local knife laws here are 6 inches with justification with in city limits, if its concealed. If its not concealed I've heard of guys strapping kukris to their legs. Though I do carry a tomahawk in my backpack sometimes but that is with the justification of it being a rescue tool as I have modified the point on my SOG Fast Hawk to go through auto glass easier now.

10. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

In Colorado you can carry any length if exposed. Concealed has a blade limit oF 3 1/2".

11. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Here in Mass we can carry any length open or concealed, except for balisongs switch-blades and durks, which all have to be un 1.5 in, and we can't carry trench knives, but we can own any knife other than balistic knives, which are illegal in every state.