How are you supposed to feel?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dukech1, May 23, 2010.

1. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

How are you supposed to feel when your only sibling of 50 years dies doing something he loved? My only brother drowned last Monday night in Lake Travis, Spicewood, Tx, while checking his trotlines, we were pretty close.
    My brother was a DPS Trooper for twenty six years.
    I don't know whether to be happy that he died a Christian and doing something he loved, or to be totally despondent.

I think that I will rejoice that he is in a better place.

I do love lurking about on this site. Thank all you guys and girls!

2. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

I am so sorry that your brother passed away. I will be keeping you and your whole family in my thoughts and prayers. The confusion of what you are feeling is normal so dont think otherwise our emotions run crazy when somethin like this happens and again I am very sorry for your loss.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Sounds like he lived his life the right way, so sorry for your loss.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear about your loss. My family we keep your family in our prayers.

O Lord, grant those who have died the joy of Your Presence, and us who are living the happiness of knowing this. Amen.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Duke, our prayers go out to you and yours.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Sorry for your loss.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Duke, I'm sorry for your loss and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

8. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Duke, Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and the family.

I hope we can all pass doing what we love to do !!

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Duke, sounds like your brother was a heck of a guy, and the fact he passed doing something he loved wont make it hurt the family less but I'm sure he was happy. May the goof Lord bless you and your whole family and ease your pain. Again sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers go out to you in your time of need.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Please accept my condolences and my prayers for your and his families.

11. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Sorry for your loss, many prayers

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

My family lost a brother when he was 24, and there aren't any pat answers. Since you asked, I'll give you my take. As I know that I'm going to die, I can only hope to do it while doing something I love. I hope that I don't have to think about it for very long, but I'd sure like to know that it is happening as I have a vested interest in the event. As for religious concerns, my personal situation is that I don't have any. I just think that I'd be cheated by not being able to recognize my demise and put it into context with the rest of my life. But that's just me, and that doesn't address the loss felt by those who survive me. We survivors are the ones who bear the pain day-in and day-out. We are the ones who think that we see our departed loved ones in line at the movies, on the street in a neighboring town, or talk to them in our dreams. Death is certain, and death is final. It's as much a part of life as birth, and trying to pass judgement on the wheres and whens and hows of it is futile. I'm going to die, and the older I get, the more I appreciate the remaining time that I have. If our lives run their statistical courses, I will be the pawl-bearer for 4 more of my siblings, but I won't be mad at the world, and I won't be second-guessing nature.
    The pain that I feel will be natural. A loss of that magnitude has to be felt, internalized, mulled over and ultimately accepted. It's what you carry on that matters. The positive attributes that the departed loved one manifested can be fostered and passed down, and that's how one keeps the spirit and the character of a person vital long after the corporeal incarnation has been laid to rest. The body is done, but the humanity can live on. To me, that is the definition of "spirit".
    I extend to you my sincere condolences at the passing of your brother. I don't claim to know what you're going through because it's a deeply personal experience, but just wanted to share a little insight in hopes that it would help you.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's perfectly normal to feel the sadness that comes with the loss of someone so close to you while knowing the happiness that your brother lived then passed on his own terms. Many do not get the same opportunity.

I wish you and yours the best and will keep you and yours in my prayers.

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm sorry for your loss, but rejoice in your brothers decision to be a follower of Christ!

15. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, Duke. I think you'll feel both happy that he died doing something he loved and also feel the heavy weight of understandable grief.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

16. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

Thank you all, ya'll are great people!

17. Freedom-1911

Freedom-1911 New Member

Very sorry to hear of your loss.
    But be happy that he is in a better place than this.
    Bless you and yours, and may God help you through this time.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm sorry for your loss. It is good that he passed while doing something he enjoyed. Count yourself lucky on one big point; some of us never got to have a brother (sisters just don't cut it).

If i recall correctly, some of the original Disciples in the Bible were fishermen; maybe they are all comparing notes on who caught the biggest fish. I find it hard to believe that anything could stop fishermen from comparing catches.

19. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

That's sad news Duke.

Prayers for you and your family.

20. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Gone But Not Forgotten

We all grieve with you, I too am a lover of the trot line. Maybe this will ease some of your Pain, Don't know who wrote it. When I was born I wailed an cryed and all those around me were happy and laughing. Now I'm gone and all those around me cry and weep. I'm looking down at them and I'm smiling and laughing. God Bless those that Fish. Wills