How accurate is the ak47?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Abc1911, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Abc1911

Abc1911 New Member

If you put a scope on just a regular ak what kind of groups can you get at 350 yards? Pics of the ak you use and grouping would be nice lol can a wasr 10\63 be accurate? Theres a myth that ak47s in 762x39 cant shoot for crap can you prove it wrong?

2. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

AK is good out to a 100yrds or so with iron sights .. will improve a bit with scope but I've heard ak scope rails can vibrate the scope out of zero often . I never scoped mine.

If you want to get out to 350 you might consider a AK 74 in 5.45 or 5.56.

Sks is a better platform because of the longer barrel for longer range shots.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It's not all about the model of gun. A lot of it is about consistency of manufacture of the gun and the consistency of the ammo being used.

As far as proving or disproving the stereotype goes, the main problem lies in that consistency or lack of it. I have seen some WASRs that shoot pretty decent 2-3" groups at 100 yds with good ammo (not bad for a short sight radius, a creepy trigger, and not the most precise sights in the world to begin with). I have also seen WASRs that made patterns resembling a shotgun at 25 yds.

I have seen similar performance variation in Hungarian, and Egyptian AK types. I have seen AKs go from 3 inch groups to 6 inch groups just by switching ammo.

Putting a scope on a gun doesn't make the gun itself more accurate, it improves consistency of aiming ability.

If you have shot an AK, like an AK and want an AK, then you should get an AK and not worry about what other people think of them. They ae a fine rifle for what they are. Precision accuracy was never a design priority. The idea was to give the foot soldier high volume of fire in a light weight, reliable package that would provide fighting accuracy at ranges from close to contact out to 300 meters. It will do this.

If precision accuracy is what you seek, then I recommend a bolt action. There are a lot of gun designs because there are a lot of different specialty jobs that different designs do better than others.

4. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ObvGgTXZww"]Make Ready with Travis Haley: Adaptive Kalash[/ame]

About 36 seconds into the video, there is one second of him shooting off a table, with an iron sighted AK, at a 500 yard torso target; he hits it every time, at least 7 shots.

5. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

With my scoped WASR 10 I can hit the 10" gong at 375yds every time but that is from a rest.

[​IMG]