How about this kit?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lbwar15, Dec 6, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

What do y'all thank about this kit. I have no idea how to reload yet. And I don't have any equipment.

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

This is what the kit includes.

Attached Files:

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Good set up basically, but you would need to add scale check weights to calibrate that digital scale.

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Thanks. Anything elts I need to add? I know I need a case trimmer.

5. locutus

A case trimmer is needed if you are loading bottleneck rifle rounds. The little trimmers sold be LEE will tide you over quite well until you can afford something nicer.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I will be lol. Even shotgun shells after a while lol.

7. magnumman

magnumman New Member

You will need a dedicated shotshell press

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Yea I have ben looking into them. I don't shoot my 870 much. So it's handgun/rifle first.

9. headhunter

headhunter Member

It sounds like Hornaday all the way. A number of years ago I purchased a Hornaday powder measure, I believe it was the "Pro". Although I used it many years , I don't feel it was as smooth operating as my present RCBS.
    When I purchased it I found there was a ledge between the plastic reservoir and metal body. Whenever I wished to change powders or wanted to stop reloading there was powder on that ledge. A long handled stiff art brush took care of it. Finally, I took a Demidrill and ground it off. Have fun and good luck.

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered the abcs of reloading. Is there any manuals anyone thinks I should get? Such as reloading for handgunners or anything like that. I will be reloading for handguns and rifles. Carry ammo, hunting ammo, plinking, and even just some cheep stuff to stock up on for shtf.

11. locutus

I like the Lyman manual, I suppose because I used it in my class rooms. But Speer, Hornady, Hodgdon, Sierra are all good.

12. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I would add a powder trickler ... Saves a lot of agravation lol
    Fk.

13. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I bought a Hornady , progessive and love it ... I looked at dillon hornady was $150 cheaper ... Rcbs isn't a true progressive , u have to manly index it ...
    Hornady all the way , and there powder througher works amazing . Less then 1/10 of a grain variance .
    F.K.

14. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Also look into a few loading trays - small plastic ammo boxes- labels to mark your load data - powder funnel . If you ain't figured this out yet THIS can get as bad as BRD. LMFAO Mickey

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

IB,

That is a fine choice and for one reason being Hornady as with RCBS parts for your loader is readily available at locations like Bass Pro-Cabala's and local shops. That is the biggest mistake some make when buying loading equipment. What I am going to recommend is more money but after years of being tired and worn out regarding measuring powder I splurged and went and bought a Lyman 1200 Powder Unit. God I wished I had done it years ago. So you may also want to check into one. But not being familiar with the time it takes to weigh out exact powder charges for each case it saves me hours and the machine does almost everything. And it is incredibly accurate. It also has a program for multiple calibers so no need to set the unit back up each time for a specific load. Just select the right number on the key pad and it switches to your specific load for that ammunition.
    Just a suggestion for you to look at!

16. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Thanks. I plan on getting better equipment after I am comfortable with it.

17. fmj

fmj New Member

LMAO @ "is there anything else i need to get" LMFAO!!!

I am laughing because as you will learn, there ALWAYS seems to SOMETHING else you need!! :p:D

I use a lyman and like it well enough, it has loads for all the major calibers, bullet weights, powders.

Keep us up on your progress.

18. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

You WILL need a caliper , got to check the O A L , can't have them cartridges to long or short now can we. LOL Mickey