How about some Ek?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by M14sRock, Feb 22, 2011.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

A friend of mine collects Ek Knives. He has hundreds of them, from WW2 to now.

Ek has been committed to supplying knives of the highest quality to US Military members since WW2. For years they were only available to active duty Military members, with priority going to those on deployment.

I had done some work on his M14, and he wanted to send me a thank you gift.

So, when he asked me if I had any Ek Knives and I said "No", he sent me a care package.

First in line was the M5 Bowie with the shiny finish on the left. He had a used one, which is fine with me because it would get a lot more use. It lives in my drag bag.

After he sent me the first knife, the boxes kept coming. He sent me another NIB M5 with the matte finish and wood scale handles. A large dagger (shown here), a small dagger (gotta dig it out), a weird looking Blackjack Knife/dagger, a semi Bowie sheath knife and a LONG Blackjack blade that is almost a short sword. I'll dig them out in a bit and post the pics.

So the work I did on his M14 was about a $200 job, and he sent me about $1500 worth of awesome knives? WTF? I guess I'll be working on his Glocks next. The big Ontario is one that I've had for years, but tossed in this pic because it was on my desk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ek Knives are seriously cool knives, and the M5 Bowie's are insanely durable. I'm thinking about putting new handles on the daggers, and maybe the shiny M5.

Anyone else have any Ek's?

2. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

At one time I had the bowie with the U.S. handle. I gave it to a one time buddy. Didn't care for the sheath so I traded it for an old K-Bar sheath. I carried a Commando for some time, also ditched the sheath and had one made.

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

When I was younger I saw one of the EK daggers with black micarta handles in one of my uncle's catalog's.
    Think it was a M3 or M4. I thought they looked really cool. Never did get one, I forgot all about them till I saw this thread:eek:

Awesome additions to the collection M14's:cool:

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Dug out the others

So I just braved the cold weather in the garage (50f) to dig these out.

The long one on top is the Blackjack. It is about a 16" blade and "wafer thin" to borrow a line from "The Meaning Of Life". It lives in my old K5 Blazer.

The double edged dagger on the left is the other Blackjack. Very beefy blade design.
    In the middle is another Ek, but I don't know the model. Australian Bowie, maybe?
    On the right is the little Ek dagger. I was told that it is a prototype, but don't know. Gotta make a sheath for that one.

I also dropped in my small Cold Steel Carbon V Kukri. I have several CS Kukris and actually use them. Ha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very nice! I had never even heard of them before this.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Check out their website, EkKnife.com, Don. John Ek was a patriot of the highest order. Passionate about providing knives to the troops.

They never got the fame of Randall, but make one hell of a good knife.

7. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Talking about Top Shot, ;) there shooting M-14s tonight Rock.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yep. Always fun to watch M14's in slo mo. My daughter is already antsy for it. Ha. Thanks for the heads up.

9. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I've never seen handle material like that on an EK. You just might have a prototype there. Giv ya $5.00 for it..........come on,before ya have time to think about it.:D

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

You mean the little dagger? It seems to be black paper Micarta.

11. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Sorry, yeah the little dagger. I've never seen an EK with grips shaped like that or that material. All that comes to mind is cord or wood. Dose it have Effingham,Ill. on the other side. Now there was a Blackmoor, but it had an ABS handle and the blade was shaped differently.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  12. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Like this. Looks more like a Gryphon.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  13. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I've never heard of EK knives either. VERY COOL! :)

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The little dagger is not marked on the other side. Just the Ek logo you can see in the pic. I saw 4 of them in a pic on some German knife forum last night and they were labeled "Boot Knife".