How about an FTF Flea Market?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CA357, Mar 20, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I was just thinking that maybe we could clean out our holster drawers, safes, shops and storage areas and sell the extra gun stuff we have accumulated, but no longer have need for.

We could set a time limit of a week for the thing to run, then close it down. My thinking is that we could donate a percentage of sales to FTF to help defray operating costs.

Maybe do it as an annual thing?

Watcha' think?

2. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I like the idea.
    I think a special forum should be made just for this occasion. Have the forum closed when the flea market is not open. Either that or you could just delete the forum until next year/however many times this will be done.

+1 to OP

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. I am always looking for some more crap I don't really need. You can never have enough gun stuff!!!

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a few holsters, that don't get used.

5. CA357

Let's see if the idea gets enough support and then we can approach Mount Olympus with the idea. ;)

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

im not a supporting member yet but like the idea

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Pony up the Dough, what you waiting on?

8. CA357

I'm bumping this for more feedback.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm up for it but I don't have much stuff I can get rid of. Might have a few bucks I can burn though.

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I like this idea, but how do you envision the nuts and bolts? How will it run, technically?

I guess you could do the thread, evrybody with something could post pics, and transactions could be carried out through PMs.

Or is there a better way?

11. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Could we maybe use the marketplace?

Ideas:

• Members donate items by sending them to trusted moderator/auction holder
    • Auction holder puts items up in special thread in marketplace
    • Proceeds from sales go directly to FTF

That way there'd be some control over how this went down. Otherwise we might as well all use a Paypal Donate button without any membership ties, and that just goes directly to operational costs/beer/whatever. ;)

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

This creates a lot of work for the Mods!!

What is wrong with an FTF garage sale then each member who has sold goods sends the proceeds into FTF.

13. CA357

I dunno'. I think I could run it, but I'm not sure of the best way to make it run. That's why I'm looking for feedback.

One possibility would be to have folks PM me with a list of their items and we could run them all in a master thread. There could be a separate thread for feedback and comments. Some stuff will probably require photos, other stuff, not so much.

We also have to figure out what percentage goes to FTF. I'm thinking 25% minimum and it can be more if the donor wishes.

Another way would be to just have a single Flea Market thread and let everyone make their own deals.

We need ideas gentlemen. Thanks. :)

14. CA357

Your idea may be best Dune, because it's simple.

15. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The FTF garage sale thread. I like it! No mod involvement, honor system in effect, members delete their post or edit as things sell, a respectable margin is donated to FTF.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

This is a most excellent idea!!!

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

We just need an area where only members and not vendors can post items for sale.

You start a thread saying

For Sale: Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm

Then you give details in the main body with pics if you want. The thread is a place to ask questions about the product being sold. Then when someone PM's the OP and they talk about payment and shipment options and when the deal is done and the money changed hands the OP goes in and post a Sold note. I think we should have two mods just for that section to close threads of items that have been sold. That way we don't burden the mods now with even more crazy stuff. That is the way it works on a few other message boards I belong to.

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Then what does that money do? I'm not being a hater, I just don't know anything about how the accounting of the forum works, like if it's in the black or the red, or how this kind of "donation" would work. If it's to support fellow members in need, I'm all for it.

19. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I guess we need to work that issue lon. I would like to see some go for moving members to supporting membership and some for helping members in need.

That leaves admin with accounting issues though and I've seen no buy in from mods or admin., yet!

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

As for the location of the thread, I recommend the Bunker!!