Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 1033 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Sarge, your grips are fantastic. I have a good feeling you'll end up with a chunk of my cash after I get my own 1911

However, you mentioned a little while back that you didn't know how to bring out the natural color in photographs...try taking pictures outside on a sunny day. The flash on your camera is your enemy in situations like this =)

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Bahastx - Those are nice! Thanks for posting them!

Rare Function - Thank you I appreciate it. I'm glad you enjoy the pics.
I purchased some "professional" lights recently that have helped quite a bit, but I will try the outdoor thing once it warms up enough here in KC to make that feasible. Thanks for the suggestion!

Todays pics are of a set of Madrone Burl with a "tactical pattern" stippling. This color is kind of intriguing. Not really red, but not really orange. The graining is very tight on this stuff. The burl eyes and clusters are so small and tightly packed together, that it becomes it's own graining almost. Very interesting wood.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Today's beautiful wood moment is provided by Black and White Ebony (crosscut). It took some trial and error to figure out the best way to work this wood to make sure it be stable enough for use in grips while being crosscut. Now it's no problem and I don't lose sleep over these any more.
Beautiful stuff when cut WITH the grain, the uniqueness of this wood really shines when it's crosscut. People often see faces, animals, etc in the wood. What do YOU see?
Anyway, enjoy the pics.
Sarge

· Registered
21,822 Posts
People often see faces, animals, etc in the wood. What do YOU see?
This pair is great!

I do see an animal (here goes Mac with the herp comments) and its an alligator head looking down with the eye and forehead bump toward the rear of the grip.

· Registered
376 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous....and I thought I knew what grips I wanted for my springfield...

Now I'm drooling over everything on your website!

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Today's beautiful wood is Afzelia Xylay. This wood is very 3D in it's look, at least in this level of figure. You could swear that you'll feel the ridges that your eyes tell you are there, but when you reach out and touch it, it's perfectly smooth. Fools the eyes every time! This level of figure is getting harder and harder to find, but it's worth the search.
Enjoy!
Sarge

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Todays pics are of a set of Madrone Burl with a "tactical pattern" stippling. This color is kind of intriguing. Not really red, but not really orange. The graining is very tight on this stuff. The burl eyes and clusters are so small and tightly packed together, that it becomes it's own graining almost. Very interesting wood.

Do you have a problem with the madrone eating your tools? Madrone is a beautiful wood, but it can be hard to come by and it's especially prized for firewood.

Today's beautiful wood moment is provided by Black and White Ebony (crosscut). It took some trial and error to figure out the best way to work this wood to make sure it be stable enough for use in grips while being crosscut. Now it's no problem and I don't lose sleep over these any more.
Beautiful stuff when cut WITH the grain, the uniqueness of this wood really shines when it's crosscut. People often see faces, animals, etc in the wood. What do YOU see?
Anyway, enjoy the pics.
Sarge

The face of Buddha?

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Matt,
I haven't worked a whole lot with it, but so far, no issues at all between Madrone and tooling. Fairly light wood shapes and tools easily. It's awfully expensive to use for firewood. :eek:
It's not uncommon to run into small groves of Pacific Madrone in the woods here in Northern California. When it's wet, it's heavier than anything else. It's dense and eats saw chain. Once dried and cured though, it's an incredibly dense and slightly oily wood.

It could be a different madrone than you're using, though. Pacific Madrone doesn't have that much color to it.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
the beauty of the day isprovided by African Zebrawood. Usually very straight grained with the chocolate to black veining, it's not hard to imagine how the wood got it's name. These are from a couple of pieces that had a less rigid pattern to them. The wood also has a lot of deep shimmer to it. That's where the perceived color difference in the pics comes from. Both sets are actually bookmatched. Cool wood.
Enjoy!
Sarge

41 - 60 of 1033 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.