How about a "nice grips" thread?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Sarge43, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

I have hundreds of pics of beautiful wood and other types of grips to share, but would also love to see YOUR pics of grips, so why not start a thread for that purpose? This is open as far as I'm concerned, so wood, metal, horn, Ivory, whatever, post 'em up for all of us to enjoy!
    Sarge

2. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Just to get things rolling, here's a set of Afzelia Xylay bobtail grips with genuine Mammoth tooth slabs inset into the wood. They're shown on an Ed Brown Kobra Carry and I think the combination is outstanding! How often do you get to hold 50,000 years of history in your hands? :eek:
    [​IMG]

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sarge I'm crushed!

You didn't mention leather!!

My Defender in Prairie Rattler:

[​IMG]

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And the same Defender (a work in progress) with her NEW Canebrake (Timber) Rattler stocks:

[​IMG]

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sarge, got any Browing HP stuff? :D

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Form follows function for me.

Hogue Combats:

[​IMG]

Hogue "Extreme Metals" in brushed aluminum:

[​IMG]

7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

When I finally get my hands on my first 1911 (hopefully in the next ten days or so) I'm going to order some damascus steel grips from my favourite bladesmith, I've steel got to choose the pattern, it will be either a firestorm, turkish ribbon or feather. Something similar to this (although his work is MUCH better, since damascus is his bread and butter):

[​IMG]

I'm also going to get some nice rosewood or walnut checkered grips. Half the fun of a new gun is dressing her up.

8. Bighead

Bighead New Member

If Sarge doesn't, here's a couple choices from Eagle Grips CRE Loaded 6 - Eagle Grips Inc.

Ivory & American Elk. They also have several wood choices and a very cool Buffalo Horn.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  9. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Glad to see so many posting their cool stuff! Let's keep it going! :)

10. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Here's my contribution for the day. Gorgeously loud spalted Maple. These had to be professionally stabilized before I worked them. Before they were way too soft for much of anything, but stabilized they are a very solid and uber beautiful display of nature. Wow.
    Enjoy,
    Sarge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Another Mammoth tooth set with Gabon Ebony. I really like the mammoth tooth stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Awesome work, Sarge43. I spent a little time browsing your website, I'll definitely get in touch with you when I buy my 1911.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My XSE with Stags;

[​IMG]

I will be installing these Colt 150th 1986 medallions shortly. Sarge, what type glue should I use? The grips are real stag and the medallions are flat backed (no studs) and appear to be brass. I will be using a Forsner bit to make the divot.

[​IMG]

14. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Those are nice Canebrake! Very cool.
    If I were you, I'd scuff up the back of the medallions pretty good with some 80 or 120 grit paper and then just use your walmart twin tube variety epoxy. As long as it's a slightly textured surface, it will hold well. It's not like there's going to be a force actively pulling them out anyway. The epoxy will be clear too, so in the event of any excess "squish", you can clean it up easily and completely before it sets and it will help fill any gaps without drawing attention. You know this, but just in case - make sure the hole is big enough to let the medallions drop freely in to place without having to be driven or pushed, but no bigger than that either. Either way can cause problems in materials that don't have a lot of "give" like stag. Hope to see pics when you get it done!
    Sarge

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks for the info bro.
    Will do with the pics!

16. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Here's a pic of some Venezuelan Rosewood. It's beuatiful, hard, and dense. Perfect for grips. Nice reddish brown color as well (not that you can tell from my horrible photography skills). Another beuatiful wood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Those are really nice. I like how you left the knots in them, rather than using clean wood.

18. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Thank you Matt. I like getting the most eye appeal out of whatever wood I have. Speaking of eye appeal, check out Red Mallee Burl from Australia. Gorgeous wood with LOT'S of eye appeal. One of my personal favorites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

One of natures little oddities is "mineral stained" wood. This is all natural and happens when the tree or its water supply is exposed to elements that affect the color and turn it something other than normal for that type of wood. This is maple burl believe it or not, even though much of it looks like cherry. Pretty cool stuff courtesy of nature.
    Enjoy!
    Sarge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Some of the non-wood variety grips
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]