How About A New Hobby?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Olympus, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Been kicking the idea around for a while now. Buying guns and building my collection has been my biggest hobby for many years. But I've recently gotten to the point where I just can't think of a gun I just "have" to have for my collection. Plenty of guns that I'd like to own, but nothing I can't live without.

And my second biggest hobby has been making grips. Been doing that for almost 5 years now and I'm starting to get burned out. It's turned into a job that I almost dread instead of a fun hobby. So I'm seriously considering limiting my production of grips this year.

So now I'm trying to think of a new hobby. Nothing super expensive or ridiculous. But I'm having trouble thinking of a new hobby. Any suggestions?

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Get your pilot's license.

It's not super expensive... just expensive.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Myself, I enjoy collecting small, steel engraved portraits of famous Americans. Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson, Grant and Franklin are my favorites. :p

Assuming that you still have some interest in firearm RELATED things- how about cartridge collecting. You can make it as complex as you want, and as expensive as you want. Getting a single specimen of common rounds of today will get you started on a fair sized project- but here's the catch- you have to research and read up on the cartridges. Everybody knows about the 30-06- but why is there one with a bullet make of Bakelite- and what was IT used for? And what the heck is a 30-03? Yeah, heard of the Linebaugh BIG revolver loads- who was/is Linebaugh?

If you stay away from the uber rare stuff, like Crispins and .600 Nitro Express rounds, it can be fairly inexpensive- good learning experience.

On the other hand, you could go fishing.

4. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I enjoy making steel targets. Just started reloading, it has been fun. Thinking about taking up casting too.

As far as non firearms related...video games, camping, bushcraft...the list goes on.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Woodworking, leather craft, and blacksmithing are all cool things to learn. They can be sort of cheap, to extremely expensive depending on what you do.

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I got a buddy that flies rc airplanes, i went a watched him and some of his pilot friends and those planes are awesome. They had a couple jets there going well over 150 mph and they sound like real jets too. Its uber-expensive tho, at least the jets are. I hear most cost upwards of 12k.

I just have an rc helicopter i fly in the house, lol

7. texaswoodworker

lol, you got that $30 one too. I cannot get that thing to stay in the air for more then a few seconds (maybe a minute on a good day). :D

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I had one of those till a crash landing took it out of commission...it was way easier to control when the battery was half charged

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I did r/c trucks in college, the nitro versions. Too dang tedious. Spent more time working on the truck to get it running right than I did driving it.

Tried leathercraft last year and I was terrible. I'm not very artistic.

Thanks for the other suggestions though. I will give them some thought. I was also thinking about buying an old classic tractor and restoring it a little at a time.

10. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

You could start making long bows or recurve bows. I'm thinking about making myself one. And if it turns out good them making a few more. It relates to woodwork and to hunting.

11. texaswoodworker

lol, yeah I suck at it, so it spends most of it's time in the closet. :D

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

How about collecting silver coins. I find many of the coins fascinating. It's a better ROI than most other savings right now. And it's a hedge against a SHTF scenario.

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I really don't want to collect again. If I'm going to collect, I'd rather just keep collecting guns. The thrill of the hunt has started to dim inside.

I was halfway to getting my pilots license before I got married and had to stop taking lessons (and start making "smarter" financial decisions, her words, not mine) after I got married. So I've been looking into getting back into flying. Didn't take long to figure out that I'd barely be able to afford to get the certification now, much less actually flying on a regular basis. So that is out!

Been thinking that building a cannon would be cool. My FIL has several, including a really big one. Building it would be fun, but after it got built I really wouldn't have anywhere to shoot it. So it would just collect dust.

Thought about saving up for a new ATV, but I already have a old 1984 Honda Big Red 3-wheeler that only gets ridden for deer season every year. I don't really need another.

I'm struggling to fill the void of buying cool guns.

14. vincent

vincent New Member

What about music? Guitar, drums...decent stuff can be had pretty cheap, learning to play is fairly easy (it's learning to play WELL that's the bi*ch:D) and lots of folks make or mod guitars and drums in tons of ways.

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I had the same problem but i got better, i can land it on the blades of the ceiling fan with no trouble

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO... you want to have a small fortune, start with a large one and get involved in aviation.

I made the mistake of adding up total expenses of just owning a plane over 10 years. It was a really really really ugly number. Had a blast, would do it again in a heart beat, but flying is EXPENSIVE and not the feint of heart :)

I vowed to never get involved in another expensive hobby {sigh}.

17. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

C3, good idea. I started last night. I went to sportsman's and took one cartridge out of every box. So you all think of me next time you buy a box of 19. You should have heard my pockets jingling on my way out. (Just kidding) lol

18. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

Pilots license.

Cannons.

Take a pottery class.

Cannons.

Pick up a camera and get into photography.

Cannons.

Cannons.

Find a cheap old convertible and rebuild it.

Cannons.

19. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

Get into a pilot Co-op and share a plane. Makes it extremely reasonable. :D

20. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

All my hobbies are expensive; shooting, riding, and golf (well not golf so much anymore) so I dropped my business paperwork and I'm working on my FFL and I'm gonna try and make some money so I can support those hobbies!