How about a few British Enfields

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by string1946, May 28, 2013.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

A lot of people think the British Enfields were the best battle rifle in WW1. They are solid weapons. As I recall an old .303 Enfield was the first centerfire firearm I ever owned. Actually I traded some chickens for it when I was about 12 and promptly got in trouble when I accidentally shot down one of my Grandfathers Dogwood trees. That gun went straight in the closet and I didn't get to touch it again for 6 months. That one is long since gone but have a few more. This is a SMLE Mk III (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) or affectionately known as Smellys.

Attached Files:

2. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

ForumRunner_20130528_151907.jpg

Shooting my Enfield No.4 at the range on memorial day. Had some wolf.303 to burn up, pretty accurate. Then I shot some POF surplus talk about dangerous hangfires, I will not use that pakistany crap again.

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

You got that right! I was shooting some '42 and '44 mixed British, Austalian, and South African surplus, I think I went through 10-15 rounds, 6 were hang fires. Scared the crap outta me, that was my first hang fire. My WWII and Pakistani surplus will sit on a shelf as a collector piece. Some Hornady through it worked fine and accurate.

image-260322080.jpg

The top one. 1944 Fazakerly. Great an accurate rifle!

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

This is an Ishapore 2A made in India. These rifles are very much like the SMLE MKIII* except for the squared off magazines. They made a 2A1 but about the only difference was on the 2A1 the rear sight had graduations to a more realistic 800 meter instead of the 2000 meters of the 2A. These rifles were designed and built to fire the 7.62X51 Nato round and were not converted from .303.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Will the SMLE mags fit them?

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

SMLE Magazine

I never really thought about it so I just went and tried and yes they fit just fine. I didn't load the 2A magazine with .303 rounds to see how they feed but just looking at the mag feed lips, I can't see why it wouldn't work just fine. I'll try that one day and see for sure.

8. string1946

string1946 New Member

Another one

Here's a No. 4 MK 1 made by Savage. On the left side of the receiver its marked US PROPERTY. From what I've heard, they were part of the lend lease program so the US could cut through the red tape and help arm Britain while still remaining neutral. I understand only around 15,000 No 4 MK1 were made by Savage before they changed over to the No 4 MK1*. Some one drilled and tapped the left side of the receiver probably to try to make a No 4 MK1 (T) out of it. I bought it on the "Worlds Longest Yard Sale" somewhere in Kentucky. The guy had several guns on his table and I made him an offer on the Enfield and a Remington model 11 and he took it. I didn't notice the extra holes until I got home.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The best "Enfield" was the one made by Americans.... ;)

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NO..............

11. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I would choose a enfield over any other bolt action from WW1 or 2. Any variant.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Heres mine.... 1942 BSA No.1 Mk.III*

Attached Files:

13. string1946

string1946 New Member

And another

Here's a Long Branch (Canada) No 4 MK1* dated 1943 all matching.

Attached Files:

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

It seems Im the only one who "nerds out" their guns with all their accessories?? :confused:

15. string1946

string1946 New Member

Well I did include a bayonet with that last one. I don't happen to have any British bandoliers or any .303 surplus ammo. I could have included a Garand bandolier but that wouldn't be right. lol.

16. string1946

string1946 New Member

Today is Friday

So I'm going to go ahead and finish up my Enfields. Maybe next week I'll start another milsurp thread. I just love these things. This is a No 5 MK1 known as the Jungle Carbine. They really wasn't designed for jungle warfare but was designed to be lighter, shorter No 4 rifles for airborne forces in the European Theatre of Operations. After the war a lot of them were used around the world during colonial campaigns. One of those was the Malayan Emergency where they picked up the Jungle Carbine moniker. The finish on this one doesn't look right to me so I'm thinking its been refinished at some point. There are a lot of fakes around but I have pulled the wood off this one and it has all the lightening machine work in the right places and the hollow bolt handle. It is dated 4/45.

Attached Files:

17. string1946

string1946 New Member

Another one

This is a No 4 MK 2 that I believe is in new unfired condition. When I got it, the metal was covered inside and out with Cosmoline and wrapped with an oil or wax paper. It took a gallon of Kerosene and most of a six pack to get it cleaned up.

Attached Files:

18. string1946

string1946 New Member

Last one

I know a Pattern 14 is not really an Enfield but most people refer to them as such. I bought this one at Clyde Armory in Athens Georgia. Clyde Armory is a pretty big gun store that sells mostly LEO and NFA kind of equipment. The guy filling out the form 4473 was trying to figure out who manufactured it and I finally told him Remington Arms so he wrote that on the form. He had to have someone come double check the paperwork and the double checker asked him why he wrote down Remington and he said cause I said thats who made it. The double checker looked at me and then told him to change it to Enfield. So there you go. I'm not sure about what looks like a Swiss Cross a couple places on the stock.

Attached Files:

19. mag318

mag318 Member

I'm old enough to remember big chain stores in Chicago selling Enfields for the pricely sum of $15. Now they're a favorite of collectors of bolt action battle rifles and for good reason. Here are a few of mine. You can never have to many of these.

Attached Files:

20. string1946

string1946 New Member

Some beautiful rifles. Thanks for posting.