House approves national concealed carry gun bill.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by noproblems, Nov 17, 2011.

1. noproblems

noproblems New Member

WASHINGTON – A state permit to carry a concealed firearm would be valid in almost every state in the country under legislation the House passed Wednesday.
    The first pro-gun bill the House has taken up this year and the first since Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., was severely injured in a gun attack in January, it had the National Rifle Association's backing and passed by a comfortable margin. The vote was 272-154, with only seven Republicans voting against it and 43 Democrats supporting it.

The Democratic-controlled Senate has no parallel bill. But two years ago, GOP Sens. John Thune of South Dakota and David Vitter of Louisiana nearly succeeded in attaching a similar measure to a larger bill.
    Under the House legislation, people with a concealed carry permit in one state could carry a concealed weapon in every other state that gives people the right to carry concealed weapons.
    While states have various standards for issuing such permits, currently only Illinois and the District of Columbia prohibit the concealed carrying of weapons.
    "The Second Amendment is a fundamental right to bear arms that should not be constrained by state boundary lines," said GOP Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
    The bill's chief co-sponsor, Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., said states should consider concealed carry permits no differently from driver's licenses recognized by all states. He noted that many states already have reciprocity agreements with other states.
    The legislation would "make it easier for law-abiding permit holders to know that they are simply in compliance with the law when they carry a firearm as they travel," he said.
    Democratic opponents said the bill would constitute a "race to the bottom," with states that have strict requirements for issuing permits having to accept permits from states with far more lax standards.
    "It's a situation where weaker state laws become the national law," said Rep. Bobby Scott, D-Va. He noted that some states require training for permit holders, or deny permits to those under 21 or who sell drugs to minors, commit sex offenses or are involved in domestic violence.
    According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the measure would allow states with tough requirements, such as New York and California, "to allow in concealed carry gun-toting people from states, such as Florida, which repeatedly have given dangerous people licenses to carry."
    Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., and Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., wrote President Barack Obama last week urging him to issue a veto threat against the bill. Passing the bill "would jeopardize public safety and would be an insult to states like New Jersey and New York that purposefully have strong gun ownership laws," they wrote.
    The administration has not yet taken an official position on the bill.
    Democrats also chided Republicans for ignoring their dedication to states' rights. "For the Republican House majority that supposedly believes in states' rights, this bill is shocking," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y.
    There hasn't been much legislative action on firearms issues this year. A spending bill that the House is expected to vote on this week would bar the Justice Department from consolidating firearms sales records or maintaining information on people who have passed firearms background checks.
    The chief sponsors of the concealed weapon measure, Stearns and Rep. Heath Shuler, D-N.C., said their proposal would not create a federal licensing system but merely require states to honor one another's carry permits.
    People who are unable to get a permit in their home state would not be able to carry a concealed weapon in their home state by getting a permit in another state. A state's ban on carrying concealed weapons in places such as bars, sporting events or state parks would apply to nonresidents as well as residents.
    Thirty-five states have "shall issue" permit laws that usually require states to issue permits to those who meet legal requirements. Ten others have "may issue" or discretionary permit laws. Vermont, Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming do not require a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rm-permit-bill/?test=latestnews#ixzz1dzVRmIOS

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

"HOOAH!" :cool:

"SUCK IT!" :rolleyes:

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Alright. Thats fantastic.

4. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Do I smell a chance for O'bummer to get some of those highly sought after Independent voters?

There is also another informative tread started by == opaww, National Right To Carry

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Attached Files:

5. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Well, I sure would like for it to be nationwide. Including NYC!! :cool:

6. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Hr822

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., and Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., wrote President Barack Obama last week urging him to issue a veto threat against the bill. Passing the bill "would jeopardize public safety and would be an insult to states like New Jersey and New York that purposefully have strong gun ownership laws," they wrote.

...And exactly how are those gun control laws working for you guys up there??? :rolleyes:

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Good point.

8. noproblems

noproblems New Member

Thought you guys might like this. I'm amazed that someone who's supposed to be a leader would sell out for re election. Not that I'm complaining I love the idea but I've been pro gun my whole life not just for a few months so more people would like me.

9. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I will be the negative rat; but, I do not like the Federal Government gets into states CCW. It might seem as a good idea; but, once the feds start meddling with CCW, they will not sit back in the rocking chair and enjoy the sunset. They will continue for additional licenses, costs, etc.

Just remember the Big "O's" comment some months ago "We're working on it (Gun Control) under the radar".

Remember watch the right hand and the here comes the left with the knife!

The NRA has been pushing this creature. What does the NRA have to gain?

The GOA has been screaming, this bill is wrong, it should not be passed!

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill Passes House - Gun Owners Of America

Representative Justin Amash (R-MI), who voted against the bill, addressed this last point in a statement, calling H.R. 822 “an unconstitutional bill that improperly applies the Commerce Clause to concealed carry licensing.”

Another freshman Representative, Rob Woodall (R-GA), noted that the right to carry a concealed firearm is already protected by the Second Amendment.

“If the Second Amendment protects my rights to carry my concealed weapon from state to state to state, I don’t need another federal law,” Rep. Woodall said. He went on to remind his colleagues of the original intent of the right to keep and bear arms.

“I don’t believe the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights to allow me to shoot targets [or] hunt for deer and turkey. I think the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights so that I could defend my freedom against an overbearing federal government.”

10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

[​IMG]

I am not going to sign that gun bill no way. That would be bad for the health of the nation.:confused:

11. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Hr 822

With all due respect to the State's rights crowd here, I live in a pretty good area to be a gun owner (North Carolina to be exact.. GOD BLESS DIXIE!!), but I feel for my fellow shooters in other states that do NOT have the previlages I enjoy... plus if I decide to travel AND wish to have the ability to defend myself as a law-abiding citizen of the UNITED States I am of the mind that this would be good for everyone involved... especially me!!;)
    Anyone that knows me (..either in person, or through my post here) has probably heard me preach this sermon before, so please forgive me for repeating myself; If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.. If you want gun violence, Hell... violent crime in general, to keep going down (FBI statistics will bear me out on that statement; FBI — Latest Crime Statistics: Volumes Continue to Fall ) ...three things need to happen; 1) The background check system needs to be shored up (the Virginia Tech shooter got all his guns legally... and the Columbine teens got theirs through a "straw sale" from an adult) because we can all agree there are just some people in our midst that DO NOT need to get their hands on a firearm of ANY KIND.... and 2) We need to do away with these "Gun Free" zones that restrict the LAW ABIDING citizen w/ a CCW to protect themselves (see the previous cases at VT, Columbine... and the Long Island railroad, Loopy's Restaurant, Fort Hood, etc etc) because all those stupid little signs and stickers insure is a high body count for the criminally minded and mentally unstable... and finally 3) We need to let law abiding US citizens arm themselves in ALL 50 states (You listening Illinois... you are the LAST holdout now!!) and ALL municipalities (DC, NYC, NJ.. I'm looking your way!!) and to have those carry permits recognized in said all 50 states (Maryland.. are you listening??) All of the states seem to recognize my driver's license... and that's for a 3000 to 5000 pound bullet called my car.

People who decide not to carry (and that's fine, it's still a free country... for now) need to realize that they too benefit from carry/conceal laws... Because the bad guys in those areas (where it is allowed) roll the dice every time they decide to act in a criminal manner.

At this point I would consider any of the 3 above ratified as federal law a step in the right direction.... and a HUGE victory.

Of course I do understand the apathy of some here... and recognize that the Federal Gov could screw up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich... They can't seem to find their @$$ with both hands and a schematic these days!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

This is a very double edged sword.

While you might get the legal authority to carry concealed in other states you will still have to abide by the laws of that state just like driving. But unlike driving the penalty for failing to know your in a state that doesn't allow right on red will not result in a ticket but in a long prison sentence. I'm sure for many states this is not an issue but some of the more anti-gun states have some very restrictive laws that must be followed.

13. glock22scout

glock22scout New Member

I have a question about how this will work. Example I live in the great state of Vermont that doesn't require a CCW permit as long as u legally own you can carry concealed. So does that mean I will be required to get a CCW permit from another state or since Vermont has no law then I can carry based on Vermont law? Anyone know?

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

My understanding has been that vermont residents have always had to get a non resident permit in another state that other states reciprocate with (for traveling outside the state of vermont). I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then it may not change for you. Except that if you get a non resident permit, then all states will have to honor it and not just a select few (unless some states can opt out)

That is based off of the very little knowledge I have of vermont's status, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

It worries me. Any time the Feds pass a law like this, they reserve the right to revoke it at any time. They could end up with the Federal CWP being the only one, them proclaim them null and void.

16. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

Wverything that the FEDS get into turnes to s%^t! I dont want them to get involved.

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

This could also be part of the ongoing effort to eliminate states' rights and sovereignty and put the federal gov'mt in control as the only lawmaking entity.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Key words there, and spoken for truth. If or when they finally get their way, the federal government will be the supreme law of the land. Not the constitution, not state constitutions, and not land/property owners. They already have this really annoying habit of telling people what they can and can't do within the four walls of their own home, and the only thing they really want is more money, and a complete totalitarian authority, so that they will have even more complete control over their "subjects".

19. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

It really is difficult to clen up a mess and get things going right again. Look at Egypt. They fought for and won their freedom, now the military gurus are trying to turn it into a dictatorship under military authority.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think that it would be easier in some cases to have to rebuild something, than to try to fix it.