Hot water heaters

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by 12fretter, Feb 7, 2012.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Are tankless heaters worth the hype? My original tank unit is going after 8 years. I really don't want to spend any more than I have to unless it is really compelling to buy a tankless. Opinions anyone?

2. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I have one, love it. Never ending hot water. Your shower experience will never be the same. :D

3. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Why does hot water need heating? ;)

Apologies...couldn't resist. :D

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

In the long run tankless are supposed to pay for themselves. They have been around a long time but have not caught on. I have never seen a tankless in a commercial building. Tanks have the benefit of giving you that many gallons of potable water if your power/water supply ever conks out.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

How much more are they from the normal ones?

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Electric Tankless- will take additional electrical service beyond what an ordinary electric water heater uses- typical 40 amps at 220v. Natural gas/ propane you need venting (stack) Check the delivered amounts of water, and the temperature rise. Some are good for a shower, but play hell filling a tub. Advantage- they only use energy when you are using hot water. Also check if you are on a well to see life expectancy with well water (hardness)

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Water hardness is a problem for tankless heaters. Scale builds up inside and limits the life of the unit. Have your water tested for hardness.

They are worth all the hype depending on your water hardness. And maybe even then.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Couldn't one cycle the water through a water softener before running it through the 'on demand' water heaters? My sister has an 'on demand' water heater and she LOVES it. She is on septic and well but I believe she runs the water through a softener, first.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. fmj

fmj New Member

Havent heard a lot of good on the longevity or maintenance/reliability side of this equation.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Looked at it several times. Lot of you get what you pay for with tankless water heaters. They are unlimited within the output capacity, i.e. cheapest one will provide for one tap at a time.

They avoid storage costs and wasteful reheating
    generally more expensive to install
    those with teenage daughters may want to reconsider ;) Mine judged herself clean when the tank ran out of hot water.

If I were replacing my tank tomorrow, I'd take another really hard look at one.

11. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I actually have a water softener on city water so that would not be a problem. I'm replacing a gas unit with another gas unit so all the right hookups are there. I'm just having a hard time spending long term money on a house I don't want to live in. If I could calculate how much savings I could get over say 5 years I might give it some more serious thought.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Check to see if there are any rebates or tax breaks. Some power companies are giving energy rebates.

13. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

^^^ All of that. Plus, with an electric unit you may get flickering lights when all heaters are 'firing'. If using one in an area with hard water, the scale buildup can also break loose from the heater, travel through your plumbing & plug up nearly everything.

I'd also ask the manufacturer specifically about using one with a softener. They may not like salty water any more than hard water...

14. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

I doubt you would get flickering lights unless said lights are on same circuit as water heater which they shouldnt be.

15. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

I guess this is a moot point now that I see that the OP is interested in a gas-fired unit, but there were no lights or anything else on the same circuit. The water heater had it's own 125 amp breaker & the lights definitely flickered.

I use a propane-fired, tankless water heater to heat my workshop via in-floor, radiant heat. It works great & has been 100% reliable for over 5 years. It is a closed loop system using boiler antifreeze, so water hardness is not an issue though.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

From what I understand, the gas units put off a LOT of heat. They require double wall vent pipe and all kinds of fire code stuff. Retro fit is costly because of the huge expense of the proper vent pipe. Installation can easily double the cost. If your existing heater is on an outside wall, it may be worth it as the vent pipe will not be too bad.

17. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

I dont think it had a 125 amp breaker lol. And there may be something wrong with it if it pulls enough current on start up to make the lights flicker.

18. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"They require double wall vent pipe and all kinds of fire code stuff."

Same as all gas appliances.

19. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

If this is more than just a noticeable flicker you should notify the power company. In my house the A/C coming on would cause dimming of the lights. The power company replaced the 15KW power transformer with a 25KW and fixed the problem. Just a thought.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

If you have all of the clearances as specified by the stove manufacturer screw the fire code. A single wall stove pipe is more efficient for heating the house than a double wall. Less heat is lost up the pipe.

I just recently installed a new chimney for m pellet stove when I replaced my roof with a steel roof. Code calls for the chimney to rise 10 feet from the nearest part of the roof. Problem is that caused shading issues with my solar panels in the morning. As soon as I got signed off I pulled off 7 feet of chimney. Like I say, screw the county inspectors. Effing Nazis.