Hoster Materials

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Litzner, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Litzner

Litzner New Member

So I have new Kimber Royal II and I was wonder what holster material would be the best to reduce the wear on the gun. I was thinking leather but I wanted to get some input on what people think would be the best for a blued gun.

I want to try to keep it pretty :)

(I a typo in the title and I can't change it! "Holster")

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Look into horsehide. High Noon Holsters builds awesome holsters and does horsehide lined holsters. You might also want to look into something like shark skin or stingray hide.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Can we see pics of your kimber?? :)

4. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You really want to see my piece again? :D

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Nothing beats the beauty of a fine leather holster, but having kept a Ruger Old Army in a leather holster for 20 years, I can tell you the leather will eventually wear the bluing off in the places it is in contact with the leather. The cylinder on my Ruger has had the bluing worn off in two spots. I don't know if it will happen as readily with an automatic since the revolver cylinder provides a constant contact point, but leather does wear down bluing.

6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

9-10 oz. vegetable tanned leather. Stay away from the cheap chrome tanned leather.

7. OC357

OC357 New Member

This is true. Same experience with my Python that has lived in a Bianchi for many years.

I have a nylon type holster for another revolver but I don't keep anything in it except when I use it.

I like the leather much better and it breaks in real nice but I think you can't help getting some light holster wear if you are using it. I have one that I just keep in the original box and it shows no signs of wear.

OC

8. rcrifle

rcrifle New Member

9. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

Boy, I'll be no help here at all,....I've never bought a gun that I was concerned about keeping pretty, I like ugly plane looking working guns,...kind of the same deal with pickup trucks,....LOL:D

10. Persuasive

Persuasive New Member