Horse meat inspection ban lifter in the u.s.......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Nov 30, 2011.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Horses could soon be butchered in the U.S. for human consumption after Congress quietly lifted a 5-year-old ban on funding horse meat inspections and slaughterhouses could be up and running in as little as a month...I can't see Horse-Meat in my meat dept.of the local food-store..The newspaper said with the bad economy,people will eat horse meat,with the price cheaper then the other meats on the rack...It just can't happen???...CAN-IT???....:confused:.....:(......Would...YOU...EAT-IT....?????........

2. Bizdaddy

Bizdaddy New Member

My boss worked on a ranch in the 70's and he likes to tell the story of the night one of the guys was massively impressed with the stew the cook had made. The guy asked the cook what cut of meat it was cause he'd just found his new favorite. The cook told him it was the horse they'd had to put down earlier that day lol. My boss said it was dang good meat. Would I eat it? Depends if I knew what it was beforehand.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Up until just a couple years ago, there was a horse processing plant in DeKalb, Illinois. It was the last one in the USA. They sold the meat to Belgium.

4. freefall

freefall New Member

My father in law said moose meat tasted a lot like horse. They eat the heck out of it in Canada and Europe. Sure I'd eat it, we eat pigs don't we? How can a horse be less appetizing?

5. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

If the price of hay keeps goin up I will be eating ours, ill let ya know lol

6. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Nothin like quarter horse tenderloins, tender emmmm emmmm ,good hell people eat mcdonalds so why not horse. Sounds like dinner to me

7. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

There are a lot of feral horses shot here in Australia and a lot end up as pig bait but there is an export market for the meat to Europe and for our feral camels,kangaroo's and pigs there is also a market for them in Europe and Arabia.

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Food is food if im hungy I eat, dont care if its horse, goat , pig , deer, cat if its good eat it

9. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Horses are good for 2 things Glue and Dog food. Now they might be good for 3 things.

In my eyes horses are worthless. I would eat one in a heat beat.

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

HAHA.. same here!! I dont see a problem eating a horse. One year we sent some of ours to France for the same thing...

11. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I wonder what kinds of drugs and chemicals tjere gonna give the horses to make them bigger and more meaty just like the chickens and cows haha.

12. vincent

vincent New Member

Good point Mulie, at least with horse, you know what it is. Ya, I'd eat it...I'll just carve off what I want and ride the rest home...:D

13. orangello

orangello New Member

A client who supplies Sanderson Farms swears that they export a metric crapload of chicken FEET to China for human consumption. I've seen what those chickens look like when they live past the fryer age; i would rather eat Mr. Ed anyday.

Luckily, i am mostly vegetarian and would only be eating meat if times were very desperate. If it came down to having to eat chicken, i would be gnawing some pine cones or something, gack.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll try most anything at least once. Horse is kind of on my to do list.
    I've had snake, dog, coyote (only slightly different flavor) rat, and turtle just to name a few. So why not?

15. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

They are beautiful and majestic animals and I hope that I acquire those traits by eating a horse steak.

16. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Did Snake taste like Chicken ???......

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've heard that it does, but the one I ate had a very unique flavor that was nothing like chicken. It's what I think alligator would taste like but I can't compare as I've never had gator. Mine was almost a mix between gar, turtle, and swamp water. I didn't enjoy it very much. Water moccasin. Most people that eat snake seem to steer towards rattler.

18. opaww

opaww New Member

I have eat dog and monkey, no they don't taste like chicken either. Horse should be as good as many other meats we eat everyday.

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Not at all. It is unique, but does taste like gator. Probably because they are both reptiles.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I would eat horse. I couldn't eat rat. Tree rats (squirrels) are OK in my book, but not the true rats. I don't think anyone should be prevented from eating rat. I probably wouldn't shop at the grocery store that carried rat though.

What I don't understand is why Congress effectively outlawed horse meat by not allowing horse meat inspections by the USDA (by law any meat that will be sold for human consumption must be slaughtered in a USDA inspected slaughterhouse and a USDA inspector must be present at the facility). What was the need for that ban? Horse meat is widely accepted as a delicacy in many cultures. Where does the government get off telling us what we can eat as long as it isn't another person or an endangered species? I think the government should stay the Hell out of our dining rooms.