Firearms Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to address this horrible advice from Texas Realtor (see picture)

Sure most people have heard the 15 pace rule, or 20 foot rule, but there are alot of factors that go in to that and I would rather have a gun than pepper spray any day.

They seriously say the gun just becomes something you can throw at them. Well if you can throw it you sure as **** can shoot it! Come on now.

Also, in my experience You can draw and fire a weapon just as fast as any pepper spray, if not quicker.

This is just bad advice!
Font Wood Publication Rectangle Paper

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
I am old and have slowed down so I carry a revolver as a get off me gun. It wont go out of battery if I jam it into an attacker.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Get away from the border and Texas is a great place. Used to live there for approx. 10 years.
I have visited Texas a few times. I have a friend that lives in Austin. Thats a liberal 5hithole. But i enjoy walking around and shopping in Dallas. And the drive from Austin down to Galveston is awesome, Those big Ranches are cool. And i really liked Galveston. It's a one of a kind place. Like an industrial beach town kinda vibe. But lots of history and historical buildings there. Buccees gas stations are cool. Get the bbq rib sandwich. There are "Texas Edition" trucks everywhere. Im not sure what that means, but we don't have "Ohio Edition" trucks here...lol.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Probably written by an office rat. So a gun won't work at 15 paces but pepper spray will. If someone wants to get you, pepper spray will just piss them off more.
We have experimented with some of that stuff behind the shop. The small pepper spray devices you can keep in your purse, or on you keychain are useless. Depending on how the wind is blowing, or how close the bad guy is.. you are more likely to incapacitate yourself..and like u said..pi55 the bag guy off. Not a good combination... Now the big cans of bear spray are a different story. They squirt 20 ft..and will take a person down. But you gotta have the situational awareness to get them at that distance. If they get too close you are gonna take both of you out...lol.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I guess I'm not understanding what's wrong with the article. It's nothing more than a restatement of Dennis Tueller's hypothesis.

If someone is within 21 feet of you they're likely to get to you before you get to your weapon.

As for the spray, my training and MINIMAL experience with pepper spray indicates that cross-contamination is a given.

It's also been my experience that gel is slower to take effect than spray but spray is more difficult to use accurately in any type of cross breeze.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I have visited Texas a few times. I have a friend that lives in Austin. Thats a liberal 5hithole. But i enjoy walking around and shopping in Dallas. And the drive from Austin down to Galveston is awesome, Those big Ranches are cool. And i really liked Galveston. It's a one of a kind place. Like an industrial beach town kinda vibe. But lots of history and historical buildings there. Buccees gas stations are cool. Get the bbq rib sandwich. There are "Texas Edition" trucks everywhere. Im not sure what that means, but we don't have "Ohio Edition" trucks here...lol.
95% of Texas is good. Lots of unusual places to go, like Fredricksburg in the Hill Country has "The Museum of the Pacific" featuring a lot of WWII history. Ft. Worth Stockyards are pretty cool with great steaks to eat. Addison is one of the best places in the world to eat, literally. The list goes on.

The shameful part of Texas is the border. I feel sorry for the land owners on the border and how they and their land are being violated. We have the laws, just not the leadership to enforce them. What else is there to be said about that? Pitiful.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
95% of Texas is good. Lots of unusual places to go, like Fredricksburg in the Hill Country has "The Museum of the Pacific" featuring a lot of WWII history. Ft. Worth Stockyards are pretty cool with great steaks to eat. Addison is one of the best places in the world to eat, literally. The list goes on.

The shameful part of Texas is the border. I feel sorry for the land owners on the border and how they and their land are being violated. We have the laws, just not the leadership to enforce them. What else is there to be said about that? Pitiful.
I have been watching some of the live coverage on News Max, and interviews with ranchers that live along the border. They are having their vehicles stolen, their fences cut, their buildings broken into, groups of illegals pounding on their door and threatening them for food. They have to be armed 24/7..and have family members sleep in shifts. What biden and cameltoe are doing to them is horrible. Border Patrol has been called in to babysit at the camps.. So they are on their own..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have been watching some of the live coverage on News Max, and interviews with ranchers that live along the border. They are having their vehicles stolen, their fences cut, their buildings broken into, groups of illegals pounding on their door and threatening them for food. They have to be armed 24/7..and have family members sleep in shifts. What biden and cameltoe are doing to them is horrible. Border Patrol has been called in to babysit at the camps.. So they are on their own..
I've been reading these stories in various NRA Publications for years it's been going on. I spent a really brief time in Sierra Vista Arizona which is about 60 miles from the border and I don't know anyone that didn't go armed all the time. That was 25 years ago

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I've been reading these stories in various NRA Publications for years it's been going on. I spent a really brief time in Sierra Vista Arizona which is about 60 miles from the border and I don't know anyone that didn't go armed all the time. That was 25 years ago
There has never been a time in Texas when most people didn't carry. It's Texas. I lived there. Read Texas history. Texas history was a mandatory course in 5th grade. There's a lot to it.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
I guess I'm not understanding what's wrong with the article. It's nothing more than a restatement of Dennis Tueller's hypothesis.

If someone is within 21 feet of you they're likely to get to you before you get to your weapon.

As for the spray, my training and MINIMAL experience with pepper spray indicates that cross-contamination is a given.

It's also been my experience that gel is slower to take effect than spray but spray is more difficult to use accurately in any type of cross breeze.
I think the issue with the article is that they are saying you wouldn't have time to get to your sidearm, but somehow you could get to pepper spray fast enough.
Doesn't make a lot of sense.

·
Premium Member
S&W 637-2, M&P sheild 9mm
12,468 Posts
My pepper spray experience was a bit different. My BIL was whacked out on whatever the drug of choice was that night, came to my house and wanted inside because he was convinced I was holding his kids hostage. When he started punching me, while saying he going to kill me, he got a healthy dose of my keychain sized spray. He went down fast.

He stood up after a few minutes, foot long+ strings of snot and drool lmao, still saying he will kill me. Fifteen minutes or so later it wore off, deputies didn't show up yet, and he came at me again. Another healthy dose had him laying in the grass crying like a baby until the Calvary extended their hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts