Hornady zombie max

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by colmustard, Nov 21, 2011.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

So whats up with this stuff? I seen it for sale on a site and went to hornady's website and they have a video of some dude using this on zombies LOL, but they dont give any real info on the product is it just another hollow point? Whats so special about it other than them trying to make money off a fad?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

They are just riding on the zombie train. Its whats making money right now and in marketing terms its a win win. Biggest difference is the hollow points are filled with a resin of sorts so that they expand better.

3. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Its the same as the other hollow point they put out (cant remember the name) it has a small red "dust cap" In it..except the Zmax is green. They claim that a normal JHP can collect dust in the cavity and create FTF issues and expansion problems. These little caps are supposed to prevent that.

4. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Figured as much LOL, they look like their critical defense. It seems hornady makes a bucnh of gimmiky stuff, like their TAP ammo whats so special about it? Also I find it kinda humourus they are going the zombie route, but also I can see lawyers eating this up, which could be bad for hornady.

5. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Yeah this ammo actually has a disclaimer about using it on anything but zombies...

6. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Yeah about that disclaimer, can you picture a lawyer just riping into some poor lady in a court room because she used rounds meant for a zombie on a person trying to kill her! They should have atleast noted on the box that it is for personnal defense against the living as well. :eek:

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Yup... and the evil woman was just waiting for the undead to attack her. When they didn't come, she chose(sp?) My unknowing client instead!

8. colmustard

colmustard New Member

LOL yeah, sad thing is that would most likly be the case in one of our lovely court rooms around our country. The lack of common sense is making it a more valuable commodity, even greater than gold, and thats saying somthing in this economy! :rolleyes:

9. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

After checking out the 3030 rounds I was curious if they would work in my model94. Tube mags need blunt tipped bullets, those were pointed, right?

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Yes ..they are.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Zombie -- Crackhead, if they are coming in the window there isn't much difference.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I got these in a few days ago, i just got them as a novelty. Never gonna shoot them.
    ForumRunner_20111124_120731.jpg

20111123_221725-1.jpg

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am wondering exactly how different they are. I was looking up bullets (for reloading) and the Z-Max is $64.99 for 500, whereas the V-Max is $39.49 for 250 (or just under $80 for 500). I didn't check the loaded ammo though.

If they are identical in all other ways other than the color of the polymer tip I am going for the Z-Max!

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I very highly recommend the Hornady Leverevolution rounds. They have a soft polymer tip that serves the same purpose as the flat nose (it will not set off the primer in a tube magazine like a pointed tip bullet). The polymer tip on the Z-Max is probably the same as the V-Max (I think the bullets are the same, just the color of the tip is different). Since they specifically have a 30/30 round it is possible that they use the soft polymer tips so they will work in tube mags without setting off the rounds in the magazine on recoil but Hornady does not specify this on their website. Check with them directly.

I went to the range today with some reloads I made up using the 160 grain Leverevolution bullets from Hornady and the Leverevolution powder from Hodgdon. They performed extremely well, one of the recipes I used shot a 3-inch group at 100 yards (windy conditions, iron sights). I am going to refine it down a bit more but a 3-inch group is better than I have shot with any other bullets.

15. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I love em. Mine will never be shot either. Cool little pkg though. I have no problem jumping on the zombie train! Isn't that why we all shoot anyway??!!

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Nope. Not me. But I'll buy them if the perform well in my guns.

17. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Viking you don't ever dream about being a zombie killing machine? Its the ultimate target practice!

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Ground squirrels are pretty challenging targets. I am not at all a fan of the zombie fad. Just not my thing.

19. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I hear ya Viking. To each their own.

20. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I received 3 boxes for Christmas, I got a bot of 7.62x39 a box of 9mm and a box of 12 gauge. I am ready for the zombies lol