Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Hornady Ultra Sonic Brass cleaner today, but BassPro didn't have any of the liquid cleaner. I stopped at three other gun shops with the same result. Is there anything that can be substituted for the liquid brass cleaner recommended by the mfgr?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Honestly any brass cleaner out there made to be used in an ultrasonic cleaner will work just fine. I have a hornady ultrasonic cleaner but use the lyman ultrasonic brass cleaner and like it better.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Use citric acid and some Dawn. Recipes are all over the 'net. Heck, just plain water will clean the brass, just not as quickly.
I prefer to deprime before any cleaning.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Use distilled water not tapwater or drinking water.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, tap water works for me--but I'm not in competition for shiniest. I haven't seen any water spots, but I doubt my gun would mind.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey if it works it works, no knocking it, just a recommendation from my experience but the water where I live right out of the tap is horrid, guess it just depends on the quality of your water honestly

·
Retired
13,709 Posts
A little oxyclean.

And they have some of that for dishwashers, too.
Leaves the glasses spotless. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like all these ideas, I am going to have to give them a try, the lyman cleaner isn't expensive but using these other recipes ya'll are mentioning are much cheaper anyway and if they work just the same then I am all game, any way to save a little money especially in the current economy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts