Hornady SST

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by spittinfire, Jul 7, 2008.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Anyone hunt with this bullet? I'm specifically looking at a .30-06 in 150gr for deer in NC. I'm starting to reload for my rifle now that I've collected enough brass and I'm interested in the SST for a number of reasons including the price and it's performance I've been reading about. I was using XP3's in 150gr but since I can't find the bullet alone I'm going to be switching. I've heard good things about the SST but I'd like some first hand opinions. Thanks guys!

2. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I use the Hornady SST slugs in my 12 ga. shotgun for whitetail deer hunting but I've never used them in anything else. I have a New England Pardner Tracker 2 with a rifled bull barrel that I use them in and they are pretty accurate. I hoped that helped some.

3. Righteous

Righteous New Member

I have somebody now working me some some match hand loads for my M1 with this bullet so I can shoot deer with it, interested to see how they do

4. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

Hornaday / SST

I use Hornady 139 grain SST at 3,000 FPS in my 7MM-08 they are extreamly accurate and very explosive on Game, I'm thinking you made a great choice!!! Goog Luck.

5. azalps

azalps New Member

Good bullet! I use the 150 gr SST in 30.06 on both deer and elk in AZ, go down stay down .

6. RVG40

RVG40 New Member

I've been using 130 grain SST in my .270 for a couple of years and they have been deadly. I've had good consistant groups on paper and all but one deer have dropped in it's tracks.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've loaded a decent number of rounds at various velocities starting at around 2500fps up to 2900fps and have been happy with the accuaracy of the bullet. I've found that these seem to do better above 2650 so I'm thinking I'll load for around 2800 as most of my shots will be less then 200 yards and the longest might hit 300.