Hornady Dies

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by aandabooks, Feb 3, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I picked up a 2 die Hornady set for .223. It comes with the full length resizing die and the bullet seating die. There is no powder die. I have a Lee Auto Disc for my pistol caliber reloading but it doesn't set high enough for rifle calibers without getting the conversion to add more discs.

I have been thinking about adding a bench mounted powder measure. Is that the route I should go? It seems like the easiest option and then I don't have to buy a powder through die for every rifle caliber I might setup for.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I've always found it faster/easier/more accurate to use a loading block,and load powder in all my rifle calibers using a powder thrower like a RCBS Uniflow or other brands.
    I like all my rifle powder loads to be exact,and you won't get that if you mount it on your turret press,unless you measure each charge.

3. cottontop

cottontop Guest

What is a "powder die?" As far as I know, all rifle die sets are sold with a FL sizing die and a bullet seating die. Some Lee sets may have a collet neck sizer (which I don't like) included. But, a powder die is a new one on me. Besides, I weight each charge separately anyway. The only way to get consistent accurate loads. All of my rifles shoot MOA, and most are sub MOA. That has taken a lot of work I attribute it to measuring each charge accurately as one reason. It really does not take much time after you have done it for a while.
    ct

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Maybe there isn't an equal in the rifle dies. For my .45 dies I bought a 4 die Lee set and the second die flares the case mouth and lets the powder dump through the die. The case activates the powder throw.

But when I picked up a set of Hornady 9mm dies it is a three die set. It doesn't have a powder through die. I have one on order through Lee.

I think I'll probably just pickup the Hornady powder measure and mount it on m bench. Might check what my reloading LGS has.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a quality powder measure like the Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, etc. and add a LEE factory crimp die.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Lee has a powder die which holds a drop thru expanding ball. This die has a threaded funnel bushing which can be removed to allow a powder measure adapter to be thread on. Not a bad set up.:)

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Went and looked on Midway and see that they carry what else I need. Unfortunately, out of stock until later this month. My question is, why don't die manufacturers put together a set of dies with everything already in the box? Looks like I'll need a crimping die.

8. tri70

tri70 New Member

A powder drop mounted separately works best. You can put the powder away back into a sealed container easier than one mounted on the die, very little spilling.