Hornady brass

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cliffspot, Mar 5, 2010.

1. cliffspot

cliffspot New Member

I have been reloading some 44 mag and 45 Colt and I ran across some Honady brass that was too short! I mean about a millimeter...didn't think to measure it at the time. Never had this problem before but I have run across it a lot in the past few months. It is so short the rounds aren't even close to touching the crimp shoulder in the die and they aren't getting belled! Anyone else noticed this?

2. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

That's odd. I've heard that the Hornady LEVERevolution brand sometimes has shorter than normal brass, to accomadate the longer pointed bullets. Most notably in the 45-70. They make LEVERevolution ammo in 44mag & 45 Colt, so maybe this brass is also shorter???

MotorG20:)

3. cliffspot

cliffspot New Member

Hmmmmm

Why would they make the cases shorter? Seems all you would have to do is move the cannelure up the shank a bit and seat the bullet deeper. Makes no sense to me as you would still have the same pressure either way.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The ogive of the bullet would be at the mouth of the case rather than a crimp groove. Making the case shorter allows for a more pointed ogive giving a more streamlined profile.