Hornady and Lyman make case trimming easy

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by austin92, Jul 22, 2020.

1. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

Recently started loading for 300blk and my 12$ lee set up with pilots and chucks wasn’t going to make feeding an AR pleasurable.

My first thought was Giraud, yes it is a sweet rig but at 500$, plus 38$ for each additional cartridge isn’t an easy pill to swallow. So I looked at their drill powered trimmers along with little crow gun works worlds finest trimmer, 100$/cartridge didn’t settle well either.

After hours of searching YouTube and online reviews I decided on 2 separate tools for less than half the cost of the Giraud.
    [​IMG]

First is the Hornady case prep trio, options are endless with 3 rotating 8-32 stations.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Read a few 1 star reviews about gears stripping but decided to take a chance since Hornady has been so good to me in the past. The second I heard a slight change of tone (200ish rounds), I pulled the front cover, gears looked fine, no shavings, but I still packed the whole thing full of wheel bearing grease and it has been butter smooth ever since. This also is a qualified purchase for 100 free bullets through Hornady’s get loaded program.

Next up is the Lyman case trim express
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a home run for Lyman, if you hand load bottle neck cartridges, BUY ONE! I can’t describe how happy I am with it. I should’ve bought one the day I bought my 30-06 dies that got me into reloading. The dial is actually pretty dang close with the .001” increments. I haven’t seen anything past +/-.001 but that could be me varying pressure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are the bushings that’s included standard for no extra cost. [​IMG]
    Here’s how they go in. Spring keeps the case off the cutter until you’re ready to cut. Also shows the removable shield that prevents shavings from going everywhere.

clip I made showing volume and operation. Averaging 12 seconds a case through all 3 steps when not holding a camera.

If this was Burger King and I could have it my way I’d switch the on/offs. Hornady should be variable and Lyman should be all or nothing. Overall I’m ecstatic about these 2 products.

PaBushMan, Shopfox, mrm14 and 2 others like this.
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice write up, enjoy!

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Austin
    Very Nice write and information.
    Great set up!
    As you know having the right equipment makes loading a pleasure not a task.
    For example when I purchased my Lyman 1200 Powder Scale Unit it was like I died and went to Heaven! Man the Hours and Hours it has saved me. And I have 5 different Calibers and various Loads programed in it. I just pull the Caliber and Loads up on the Screen. Press the "Select Button" and GO!
    That set up you have is very nice!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  4. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

@austin92, Just out of curiosity, did you consider the Frankford Arsenal? I'm tempted to cancel the backorder and get the 2 seperate tools... From the reviews I've read, a carbide cutter is a "must". Screenshot_20200722-184653_Chrome.jpg

5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you for the write up. I'm hoping to get into 300 BO next year.

6. austin92

Thanks for the kind words.

On the frankford arsenal I hadn’t considered it due to customer service issues I’ve had with them recently. My digital calipers I bought from them is shorting out or something and they can’t be but 3-4 years old so I emailed them. After a week I called with no answer. This has been every bit of a month ago and still no response. Kinda made me think “well what if I have an issue with my case prep tools from them...” I’m now using my harbor freight digital calipers that have got to be at least 10 years old and tossed around in a garage/mechanic setting their whole life.

Shopfox likes this.
  7. Shopfox

I cancelled the backorder and did these 2 machines. I saw the Lyman has a carbide cutter installed with it, which is a plus. For about the same money ($180 vs $220 w.100 bullets), you have 2 separate machines, and 2 motors. If one unit goes bad, you're out half, not the full amount.

Excellent, helpful, and well-timed writeup.

8. austin92

Well I’m glad I could help!

Shopfox likes this.
  9. oldman10mm

oldman10mm Member

I use the Hornady case prep trio, very useful. Now gonna check into the other item.

10. Shopfox

My case prep trio arrived today. One spindle is Dead On Arrival - it doesn't spin at all. Back it goes.

11. austin92

Well now I feel like a d*ck.... did you pop the front cover off to see what was wrong?

12. Shopfox

No, I didn't want to risk messing up the screws and voiding the return or warranty. I have no basis for comparison, but the cutters seemed to turn a bit slow, and it bogged down very easily when I grabbed a cutter head with my fingers (Darwinism at play?). The other aspect that I didn't care for was immediately after unplugging it, I could flip the power switch on, and the cutter head would turn for 1-2 seconds. When my tools are unplugged, I expect them to be "dead".

Something is loose on the shaft that allows it to move in and out. If I pull it ~1/16" to 1/8", the gear inside clicks into position, engaged, and starts spinning. If I push it in, it pops the gear out of position. It's probably something really minor like a loose set screw. That said, I'm not up for messing with it.

The Lyman case trimmer is really nice. Based on that experience, and reviews, I ended up putting in a (back)order for a Lyman Case Prep Xpress.

13. oldman10mm

oldman10mm Member

Before I got mine in 2014 I seen pics of broken nylon gears inside but took a chance anyway. Been running fine for 6 years now. I only use the lower 2 for case mouth deburing.

14. Shopfox

I saw a video of the RCBS gears, and the Hornady gears. Called Lyman, and their gears are Nylon as well (and not replaceable).

The eye-opener for me was, the further the spindles are from each other, the larger diameter the Nylon wheels are, and the larger diameter should be more durable. For sure, less prone to gears just snapping => more durable.

I'm also cautious now of units that have different speed spindles.

Good thread and good lessons learned.

15. oldman10mm

oldman10mm Member

The nylon gears are inexpensively able to be molded, machining metal gears too expensive in their view.

16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Too expensive for the price point they can sell them at, and they don’t think folks would pay the extra cost, vs the competition. And, they are probably right.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  17. austin92

Mine work back and forth like yours did too. Like I said though as soon as I heard the pitch change I pulled the cover off and packed it full of wheel bearing grease. They all looked fine but I wanted to keep it that way. Can’t believe one got out broken.... both units have been good to me, probably trimmed, chamfered, deburred, pocket reamed, and neck cleaned 400 cases.

18. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Im cheap lol, I use a drill.

19. oldman10mm

oldman10mm Member

Use a drill for what ?

20. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

To trim my rifle cases.