Hornady ammunition spent cases 357 mag to short?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Nickwashere, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I just started reloading 357 magnum and I noticed that my hornady ammunition brass is much shorter than any of my other brass.. length 1.247 which is .035 shorter than the trim to length.. my reloading manual tells me that it's not uncommon for a case to be a little shorter (around .01) but this is way shorter? why and are they still reloadable
    ?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Hornaday Leverevolution and FTX bullets are pointed and require a shorter case to allow the bullet to be crimped in. I see a few Hornaday cases in .44 Mag and .45 Colt. I simply segregate them from other cases. The Hornadays get the bukllet seated a bit deeper and crimp adjusted for the shorter case. Minor inconvenience

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

With the case being shorter and the bullet seated deeper, do you reduce the load a little to make up for it? Do you think it pushes the pressure limit otherwise?

4. crossfire

crossfire New Member

That is LEVERevolution brass and maximum loads must be reduced to avoid over-pressure.
    HOWEVER, there is one exception. This brass is ideal for using the Lyman #358429 SWC (the Elmer Keith bullet). You can use normal 170gr Speer JSP or Sierra JHC load data with the #358429 SWC in this short case as it seats shallower than either the Speer or Sierra bullets and that compensates for the shorter case. The bullet is available in 168gr (Leadheads), 170gr (Rim Rock) or 173gr (Beartooth). Overall length will be approx. 1.62".

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  5. robocop10mm

I don't use them for "hot" loads, just general purpose SWC loads. That load is prety mild to begin with so I do not adjust

6. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

Thanks guys, I will use them for light loads then

7. robocop10mm

You can use them for any load. There is no reason to believe they are "weaker" than a full length case. Any max or near max load would have to be worked up independently to insure safety. Remember ANY change of component requires a new load "work up". The case is a very important component, especialy if it is significantly shorter.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

No problem at all. Just seat your bullet out a little more so the distance to the rifling is the same.

9. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Then you run the risk of not getting a secure crimp on the bullet resulting in bullet creep during recoil.